HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Deer not eating from feeders (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/306849-deer-not-eating-feeders.html)

shawnster88 10-14-2009 04:34 PM

Deer not eating from feeders

A few weeks ago I built a couple feeders and put them out in the woods. Before that, I was putting corn out in a pile on the ground. I put the feeders in the same place as I had the piles at. I've checked the feeders once a week sinse I put them out and the deer hasn't touched them. Why would they eat the piles as fast as I put it out but won't touch the feeders, same place and same corn? Any ideas?

iSnipe 10-14-2009 04:43 PM

I'm thinking maybe it's only a coincidence and what really is happening is that the deer located an alternate, more favorable, food source. Don't know where you are at, but there might be a mast drop in your area that is feeding them for now. If that is the case, you need not worry because they will be back.

Out of curiousity, can you describe or post pictures or a drawing/sketch of what your feeders you built look like?

iSnipe

early in 10-14-2009 04:50 PM

They're probably gorging themselves on acorns!:s4:

halfbakedi420 10-14-2009 04:56 PM

well, maybe what was happenin is it wasnt the deer eatin the corn..or the acorns are fallin here so we seen stedy decline at our feeders too..maybe yall don even have acorns i dunno..could be the material ya made ur feeders outta smell like a killin machine to the deer and basically you put a wolf out there insted of a feeder.... is it a manual feeder?, on a timer? hangin or on legs ? did ya spray it with mace?

J Pike 10-14-2009 05:08 PM

HALFBAKED why do you spray your feeders with mace? Thanks, Pike

shawnster88 10-14-2009 05:32 PM

I made them with 2x4's and plywood. I got the plywood from Lowes and it had mossy oak layer on it. The feeder is 2' square and 4 ' tall with a small gap in the front to allow the corn to come through. I did use some black spray paint to paint the edges of the plywood. Thats the only thing I can think of that would run them off.

blindluck 10-14-2009 05:40 PM

jus get a piece of PVC about 6 inches in diameter and cut a V in the bottom end to let corn trickle out then put a cap on the top and strap it to a tree...make em about 4 or 5 feet tall and you got a corn feeder that costs about8-10 dollars vs. feeders made in a factory for 50-100 dollars!

iSnipe 10-14-2009 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by J Pike (Post 3473474)
HALFBAKED why do you spray your feeders with mace?

Some hunters have mace to keep the bears away or to prevent an attack. I know a couple of guys who use it to ATTRACT bears!

iSnipe

iSnipe 10-14-2009 06:15 PM

I don't have problems with the deer hitting the feeder here:

iSnipe :biggrin:

FlDeerman 10-14-2009 06:39 PM

Sounds like acorns and something new.Try putting a small pile in front of your feeders.Let them realize they are safe and have food.How long did you let the paint dry before putting them out(could be the smell).