Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

pre rut decoy?

Old 10-14-2009, 02:31 AM
Spike

Default pre rut decoy?

how affective is a decoy in pre rut. Im thinking about trying it should it be buck or doe? Just trying to get those big boys moving my way, thanks.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:46 AM
Typical Buck

a doe is better most of the time,all deer will come closer .
Old 10-14-2009, 04:30 AM
Fork Horn

I use a decoy in pre-rut often. Deer are naturally curious, and sociable animals. Even if the bucks aren't ruttin' and runnin' they should come over to check out the new "doe" in down. I do agree with you srwshooter, in the pre-rut use a doe decoy.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

I agree that the doe decoy would work best for pre-rut. Make sure to have it with its head turned the opposite direction bucks would most likely be coming from. Also I like to set mine up bedded. It tends to convey to a buck that the doe is relaxed and not standing at attention. Once the bucks start fighting and getting enraged with hormones put the atlers back on the decoy and watch out. Face the buck decoy in the opposite direction and get ready for a face off between your decoy and an angry buck.