Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ballistic Tips?

Old 10-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ballistic Tips?

How many hunters out there use ballistic bullets and how do you like them? Do you like them more than shooting just regular bullets? Is their a substantial difference?
Old 10-13-2009, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

bigger bullet hole easier knocked off track by brush
Old 10-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

bigger bullet hole easier knocked off track by brush

Ummm.....no.
Bigger bullet hole? Lots of times yes. The Ballistic Tip is a faster expanding bullet than many others, especially at close range with high velocity rounds. If you're shooting a larger caliber like a .270, .308, .30-06 they work great on deer. I've used them a good bit in a 06' with 165gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips and it really drops the deer. If you're talking about a smaller caliber like a .243 or such, I personally would want serving that held together a TAD better.
What caliber are you going to be hunting with?
You'll find lot of good and bad opinions on Ballistic Tips, but Nosler made them for light, thin skinned game...also known as deer.

They won't resist deflection off brush and worse or better than any other bullet out there.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used ballistic tips since I've owned my .270 wsm. I have had great success with them. There are many here that hate them, but they will kill a deer just as quick as any other bullet. I use the Win. ballistic silvertip in 130 grains. It's been great at short and long distances.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot a Browning 30-06
Old 10-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

great bullet for deer, would not use it on anything bigger...

I use Accubonds now for all critters...
Old 10-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

This is the first year I have used ballistic tips and shot a doe this morning with one. Dropped her right in her tracks at about 70 yards. I have Hornady 140 gr in .270
Old 10-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use bt's in a couple of rifles and have used them for many years. I load 165gr over 56.5gr of IMR 4350 in my 30-06. In my 7mag I load 150gr over 78gr of H870, both of these loads are very accurate and have performed well on game. I use the 165gr accubond in my 300 win mag, I went with the bonded because of the higher velocity with the 300. All I hunt is whitetails, IMO it would be hard to find a better more accurate hunting bullet for whitetails than the bt.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

BT's have been my deer sized game bullet of choice for years. In a variety of chamberings they just plain worked on antelope and our canadian deer (mulies and whitetails). My experience is no matter what the range they will open up a bigger hole(s) then most other bullets. Thats how they are designed. Just so happens I like that in a deer bullet!! The faster they are moving on impact the greater the expansion. Yes this can produce some devasting holes in tight but at long range that intiated expansion is a big benefit to opening up the wound channel. While I feel the BT is a great deer bullet, I also say you must pick the bullet based on your needs/situation. The BT is really a longer range bullet, even though it works on closer shots. Had I hunted deer in a place where my shots were 200ish on the long side and 100 being more the norm then I doubt I would have ever tried the BT.

Now a days we have bonded bullets which give security on both ends (pentetration & expansion) and I have used them with very good results as well on deer through moose. However my dedicated deer sized game rifle is my 7mm rem mag and 150 BT load is supremely accurate in that gun and has never given me a reason to veer. Which leads me to my question to you! Why the change? New Gun? Old bullet leaves you wanting more? I can tell you I have played with a lot of loads over the years, while fun and valuable. Dad's words rain true "if ain't broke then why fix it!"

Good Luck
Old 10-14-2009, 03:13 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by superstrutter
I've used ballistic tips since I've owned my .270 wsm. I have had great success with them. There are many here that hate them, but they will kill a deer just as quick as any other bullet. I use the Win. ballistic silvertip in 130 grains. It's been great at short and long distances.

yeah ,until you hit a big bodied buck on the shoulder instead of behind it and the bt bullet blows up . a 3 legged deer will get away in most cases.

there are way better bullets out there than ballistic tips for deer .

i used to load 140grn bt for a friend and i told him they would someday cost him a big buck,well they did . the biggest buck he had ever seen in the woods ran off on 3 legs after being hit with a bt. he got to see the deer after another friend killed the hude 10pt a few hours later.

want to buy a half box of bt bullets ,they've been laying in my bullet cabinat for over 10yrs now after he switched to the hornady 140 btsp.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.