Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bowhunting

Old 10-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you need to learn to blood trail.30 years, one lost two recovered and were seen later.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Spike

I strongly disagree with your disquist for bowhunting but do realize the skill level is much higher than pulling up the .06 and blasting a half inch hole at 100 yards.

I have had one get away and like another poster it was my first deer I shot as a kid. A buck at that. stuck the arrow in mid spin and never found him.

Also to answer another question. I shot a buck last year during gun season. Skinned him out and found a 4 blade muzzy stuck under a loin in front of his ham. That wasn't your broadhead was it?

More to Bowhunting than taking advantage of the early season. Bow hunting is about being emersed in nature. that isn't a granola statement, that is being able to get as close to watch the snot drip from a deers nose. In most cases you can only do that during gun season looking through a 3X9 scope.

Just give up Bowhunting it isn't for you.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with some and disagree some with what he said. If he doesn't feel comfortable with bowhunting, maybe he should quit and just stick to gun hunting. A friend of mine tried bowhunting and the first time he shot a deer, it ran off and he never found it. He quit right then and there. I don't know a single person who has bow hunted any length of time who hasn't lost a few deer. For me my losses have been from shooting too far forward, not too far back. I have only lost one deer that I shot with a rifle, and I have no idea what happened in that case.

If you watch the hunting shows, you will see two things. Perfect shots and clean misses. Now, ask yourself, is that real? They only hit perfect or cleanly miss. I don't think so. They don't show you the hits where they didn't recover the deer. It is hard to stomach hitting a deer and then not finding it, but you have to make the decision what to do about it. Try to figure out what went wrong and make a correction or work harder trying to prevent it from happening again. But eventually it will happen again.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Spike

I must admit I'm a new hunter my first 2yrs i got a deer with a shotgun easy. My next 2 years i picked up the bow and havent gotten a deer yet, not cause thier not there just out of range or placement. The last thing i want is to wound. patience
Old 10-13-2009, 11:24 PM
Spike

You sir are an idiot. You apearantly have very poor shooting skills under pressure; don't have a clue what your doing and no doubt you have poor hunting skills. You could'nt find a wounded deer if your life depended on it. Good ridence; bowhunting dosen't need idots like you.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

You'd be very surprised at how close the lost deer ratio is for gun/bow.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, go ahead and surprise us and let us know what it is.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's really pretty simple, when you change from gun hunting to bow hunting, you can't just "gun hunt with a bow". It is different, shot selection gets much tighter, margin for error is smaller and distances are much closer. If you don't adjust, you WILL have trouble.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:52 AM
Spike

I never have lost a deer when shooting at one with a rifle. I have lost 1 deer in 5 years of bow hunting-that was due to a bad shot though. I was expecting the deer to drop, but instead lept foward and I shot her way back. Waited 2 hours went looking and the blood trail ended about 400 yards. I love bow hunting though and every now and then something just isn't right and it isn't meant to be. I have killed 1 deer every year w/my bow except for this year b/c I filmed all my hunts for my buddies who have never killed one with a bow. Needless to say 1 of two killed a deer the other one is still w/out a bow kill on his resume. People can talk about not shooting or what have you but this I know is true-if you hit em in the lungs, you can't breathe. If you can't breathe you can't live. Every deer I have killed w/a bow is double lung and they never make it 100 yds. W/a bow you have less room for error. Not saying I don't like gun hunting, been doing it for 20 years. Don't give up though, keep trying.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:30 AM
Spike

I love bow/rifle hunting and women!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.