Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bowhunting

Old 10-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

So yeah,it can happen,but your chances are pretty slim if you put the bullet where it needs to go
Same goes for an arrow- and btw ive shot alot of 3d in my day as well and some of the best 3d shooters ive seen are not worth a damn as far as bowhunting. Being a good archer doesnt mean you are a good bowhunter!!!! Sounds to me you are not a good hunter and need the "sure" thing aspect of gun hunting to compensate for your bad hunting skills!! And another thing-far more deer are lost by gunhunters for the fact that a large percentage of gun hunters dont know how to hunt-they just shoot. They think that as long as they hit the deer its dead and often take bad shots.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

Bows and arrows fed a lot of people before guns ever came around. Amazing how much motivation people find, to track one down, when they're hungry. I'm sure deer do get lost, but that goes for any method of hunting. You're making a pretty broad statement based on a sample size of 1. If I remember my College Statistics, that is not statistically significant.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

[quote=rh160kid;3471280] And another thing-far more deer are lost by gunhunters for the fact that a large percentage of gun hunters dont know how to hunt-they just shoot.quote]
Thats just about the most funniest thing I have heard all day...Still everyone ignores my original question of how many deer they have shot and lost with archery tackle......And I can tell you right now,I put that arrow right behind the shoulder of that doe I never found,if itwould had been abullet, have no doubt that she would be in the freezer right now..So go on and keep lying to yourselves that bows are just as lethal as a gun is...
Old 10-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

the 2nd one,was a perfect broadside shot at 23 yds..
It was not perfect - if it was the deer was down in less then 100 yds and anyone willing to track would find it.

So yeah,it can happen,but your chances are pretty slim if you put the bullet where it needs to go
Same with an arrow - put it where it needs to go and the deer dies quickly..

..I practed for almost a full year before taking my first deer hunt..I am an excellent shot,and i started shooting in 3D tournaments,and I think im doing pretty well,so no its not my shooting!
Being a good shot is only part of it.
Knowing when to shoot and where to shoot are as important.
You don't seem to be willing to learn that, so it is best you give up the bow, stay with the gun and stop trying to hurt other responsible hunters.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

brushbustin, I agree that bowhunting isn't for you. You're 1 for 3 and there's nothing wrong with your equipment? It has to be you. I've deer hunted for over 30 years with a gun and bow and I've made some great shots and had lots of success but once in a great while things just don't work out as planned. That's when you do everything in your power to find that animal including grid searches and in some states it's legal to use tracking dogs. There's more to deer hunting that just shooting. Good tracking skills are a must. I know from experience that deer are not that hard to kill with a bow. I shoot a bow that draws 65 lbs and use carbon arrows and expandable broadheads and I have less than $400 in the setup. Using a high dollar setup doesn't guarentee success. You have to practice, practice, practice, compose yourself during the shot and only take high percentage shots. If you can cut vanes at 40 yds., you should be able to put an arrow through a deer's heart and or lungs at 23 yds. I know from experience that if you put a razor sharp broadhead through the deer's heart/lung area, the tracking job should be very easy and more times than not you'll see or hear the deer fall. I've seen it too many times. Any weapon in the right hands will take down a whitetail. I think that with the mindset you have about bowhunting, you should just sell your equipment.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

And I can tell you right now,I put that arrow right behind the shoulder of that doe I never found
No - you think you put it there - you did not find the deer so you cannot say the shot was good. Again, if it was a perfect shot where you THINK you hit it, the deer would be dead - and not too far away.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Spike

Maybe your broadheads aren't sharp enough? Ever thought of that brushbustin?
Old 10-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
No - you think you put it there - you did not find the deer so you cannot say the shot was good. Again, if it was a perfect shot where you THINK you hit it, the deer would be dead - and not too far away.

Agreed ten times over. To answer your question I have lost two deer in 14 years of bow hunting. The first was my first ever and I think that got stolen on me. I followed it for awhile and found where it laid down and no deer but there just happened to be another person right there when I walked up. He said he saw nothing. Second one was a terriable shot. I hit him in the briscut. To far forward. I tracked him for 4 hundred yards then came back the next day and grided the area and nothing. I am 90% sure that deer was still running around.
If bow hunting isn't for you than I am glad you can put it behind you, just don't say everybody is like yourself and can't make good shots. I know all of the deer I hit RIGHT BEHIND the SHOULDER went down within 40-80 yards. Some things just aren't for everyone.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Spike

Default huntin

I'm a 66 year old Engineer [still workin] and have been bowhuntin and gunhuntin 57 years in 7 states [small game before they had deer seasons in okla.] Home made "bowdark" bow back then and dogwood arrows with hawk or buzzard wing feathers. No turkeys or geese around back then. If I was desperate one of Mom's chickins was going to get its wings clipped. Heads were hand forged/hand filed out of small rebar.[ Deer seasons started in the 50's in okla. You could hunt the entire season and not see a deer] . Took up muzzleloadin in the 70's when I realized they had started having separate seasons. Avid fisherman, trapper, 3d shooter, reloader, paper puncher Ect. I have lost 3 deer with a bow 1 with a rifle. Killed one of those bow shot deer with a muzzleloader that I had previously wounded. He was ruttin hard agin after recovering. I will be bowhuntin till I can't hit what I shoot at anymore or can't pull one heavy enough. I remember my first deer like it was yesterday and all of them since. [Beautiful, wily, wonderful critters] The thought of giving it up or quittin has never entered my mind. My oldest daughter Deer or elk hunts with me in one or two states each year. She has lost one deer to a rifle. We would not have lost that one but the land owner on his 4 wheeler was trying to be helpful and pushed the deer.
Wayles
Old 10-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not sure if you're just trying to "open a can of worms" or if you actually believe what you've written.

Judging by your writing skills, you're not somebody that any halfway intelligent person would listen to. So, if you actually believe what you're writing, I'm not concerned. As far as your $600 spent on gear.... Bowhunters like me hope for half-wits like you to spend the money and quit. It keeps the industry going, and the woods quiet.

For the record, I've lost 0 deer bowhunting in 5 years. 0 Deer gunhunting in 6 years.

Last edited by StraightArrowNY; 10-13-2009 at 02:57 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.