Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

2009 rut?

Old 10-14-2009, 07:09 AM
Spike

I've learned after 30+ years that you can't go wrong hunting the second full moon after the autumn equinox. The week before and after is usually right on the money. However the further you go south the later the rut occurs. If you noticed several posted that the amount of day light triggers the rut and that is totally true. Which corresponds with the second moon.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:25 PM
Spike

Thanks everyone. Now what does the pressure have to do with hunting? Is there a philosophy behind that?
Old 10-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by guasto
Hi friends,
thanks for all the information! I'm actually in Central New Jersey. I was told its usually the second full moon after the autumn equinox. I just didn't know if it was a standard thing or if it depends on temperature and pressure. Plus, what does the pressure (barometer) to do with deer movement? I'm a little confused and trying to learn something everyday!
I was to thank all of you for the info again!
guasto the rut will start within a day or 2 of when it did last year, the year before that and the 10,000 years before that!!
The moon phase, 1st full moon, 2nd full moon, 10th full moon, barometer, temps or whether or not pauxitony phil seen his shadow or not have nothing to do with it, it all has to do with the amount of light in the day and unless the earth gets knocked off its axis the rut will never change.
The PA. guys are right on the money, the last week of Oct. is the kick off in our area of the country. Pike

Last edited by J Pike; 10-14-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

here in north central florida, the rut is starting now. my lease in georgia, the rut won't start until the second or third week in november. like someone else said, the rut can very from county to county.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

camo yest it can, but it also varies from doe to doe. But here in the state of PA. the majority of our doe's are bred between Nov. 12th and 14th (give or take a day or two) each and every year. regardless of the county. Pike
Old 10-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Spike

Cool! I like these positivity answers! Thank you for making this clear Pike.