Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

2009 rut?

Old 10-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Spike

Default 2009 rut?

Hi everyone!
I've been hunting for the past 3 years and i am fairly new to this sport. I learn day by day on stories, experience in the fields and on the internet. I really never got the real deal on when the Rut starts. Does anyone have a logic real answer to my question on how to figure out the prime time of the rut?
Old 10-12-2009, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

Depends on where you live. The rut phase is started by the shortening of the days and decreased light. Many people get the pre-rut and the rut confused. Bucks will start chasing does in the pre-rut phase. It is not until the rut phase when things are really geared up... If you are in the South, then usually the last two weeks in October to the first two weeks in November...
Old 10-12-2009, 05:20 AM
Typical Buck

similar to what spinner said, it depends on location...for me, here in PA, about the week of halloween is when the pre-rut chasing begins, is heightened during the first week of november, then the second week in november is the true rut...however, it comes in cycles, some years I have shot bucks with my rifle during the first week of rifle season that are hot on a trail of a doe, and that is not until the first monday AFTER thanksgiving
Old 10-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in southwestern Pennsylvania the pre-rut activity starts to heat up around the last week of October. The only bad thing about Pennsylvania's archery season is that when the bucks start chasing the does and the rut nears closer, they (Pennsylvania take the season out.
Most of our deer are killed around Halloween and the week after.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rut activity is very regional, even from county to county at times. All I have to say is I hope this season is better than last here in WMU 5-D. I saw almost no rut activity AT ALL last year. I'm still trying to get over the trauma it caused!

In my area, seeking/chasing should be getting under way in another week or so. I emphasize "should be".
Old 10-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by RidgeFACTOR
Here in southwestern Pennsylvania the pre-rut activity starts to heat up around the last week of October. The only bad thing about Pennsylvania's archery season is that when the bucks start chasing the does and the rut nears closer, they (Pennsylvania take the season out.
Most of our deer are killed around Halloween and the week after.
It has been my experience that the bulk of the rut activity is pretty much on the downslide by the time our regular archery season ends in mid November. At least in my area this has been the case.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Spike

Smile 2009 rut

Guasto, Where do you hunt ? That's the key, In the North the rut is different than the South. Where I hunt in Central Texas, the actual rut occurs a week on either side of Thanksgiving. Other factors come into play i.e weather, pressure, etc. when predicting the rut.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Most of south Alabama it starts the middle of January.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Spike

3-13 days after the second full moon (Nov.2) after the autumn equinox. For the North...Iowa here, that is November 5th this year. That is when the majority of the breeding takes place, however the week before and after are good also, bucks will be searching. Hope that helps.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Spike

Hi friends,
thanks for all the information! I'm actually in Central New Jersey. I was told its usually the second full moon after the autumn equinox. I just didn't know if it was a standard thing or if it depends on temperature and pressure. Plus, what does the pressure (barometer) to do with deer movement? I'm a little confused and trying to learn something everyday!
I was to thank all of you for the info again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.