Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Acorns falling

Old 10-11-2009, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

Unhappy Acorns falling

Has anyone noticed the acorns falling early this year. The ground is covered, and the deer arent moving like they where 2 weeks ago?
Old 10-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Around here in Minnesota the bowhunting opener usually opens I think in the 2nd Saturday of the month in September.

I recall usually by opener the acorns are down and we can't take advantage of a mast harvest as an attractant because that activity is done and over with. This year I noticed several white oaks still holding their acorns by opener, except they have been smaller in size. I'm guessing it's due to the dryer summer we've had.

iSnipe
Old 10-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

They are dropping here in INDIANA as well ,but Ii haven't see a deer yet this season .I can't figure it out .The woods i hunt in is surrounded by bean fields .Again I'm wondering why i haven't seen any deer.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here in Jersey we're experiencing a crop like never before. The woods look like someone drove through with a dump truck and unloaded. The deer aren't moving, as there's no reason to. They eat and bed, get up walk 10 ft and repeat. Hopefully the rut will get things chasing, roaming, and moving.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in N.Fl.they are just starting,usually last through bow season.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

Here in Oklahoma( N.E.) their all over the frigging place!
You know what it's like trying to sneak into your stand when your walking on bubble wrap!
Old 10-12-2009, 06:12 AM
Spike

This past Friday, I was driving home from work right before dark and from what I could see there were at least 7 deer eating acorns under a tree. Those were the only ones that I could count because they were in the edge of a picked field. Hard to say if there were any standing in the woods out of view. My guess is that there were. I did not get the chance to hunt this past weekend, but I can guarantee you when I do get back out there, it will be near an acorn tree.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:19 AM
Spike

Same here in West Mich. They are everywhere and the deer are nowhere to be found
Old 10-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

I thought i had lost my mind. LOL LOL GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!
Old 10-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

I do a bow survey each yr and they ask about this at each of your hunts. Opening weekend (Oct. 3rd) there wasn't a acorn on the ground. Now they are dropping like rain. The deer are also leaving the soybean fields alone where I hunt at. Why walk to get some dried up beans when you got a pile of fresh acorns a few feet from your bed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.