Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Effects of Hunting Shows on Kids? >

Effects of Hunting Shows on Kids?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Effects of Hunting Shows on Kids?

Old 10-12-2009, 05:27 AM
Spike

I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old. The 4 year old has watched us proccess a many a deer already and it doesn't seem to phase him a bit. He even asks me when he will be big enough to help. So far this year, they have seen us field dress and proccess 1 deer. The 4 year old has been asking me every since he was old enough to talk if he can go hunting with me. I built a blind this year and have taken him out in it once so far. He seems to really be interested in it. And I always have hunting videos on and most of them show the kill. So, I guess we are raising our kids around it from the beginning so I don't think it will bother them as they get older.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you consider the things a child can see on tv, on video games, live on the streets and in the movies, hunting shows are pretty tame by comparison.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

Alot of sportsmen have raised a bunch of sissies! Start em young. When we were kids our parents killed the hogs and steers in front of us. Why protect the kids? Thats what we eat. I can hear the vegetables cry out when we pick and cut them up too. Beef and pork don't come from the store!!!! Some people don't get what life is all about.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Spike

True Story! I work for a mobile MRI service and I just took a patient back from getting there test. I saw what was on the tv and it was the VS channel with deer hunting on it. So, I guess it depends on the part of the country your from as to whether it bother's you or not. Because the waiting room was almost full and I didn't see anyone complaining about the program.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

DO NOT show hunting shows to kids, it will ruin them for life.
They'll spend countless days away from home, wives and family in pursuit of deer. They will be driving down country roads looking into pastures for a hint of a deer. They will spend so much money on hunting equipment and guns. They will believe in God and give grace to the food they eat.
Dont do it you will mess them up
Old 10-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

This sort of reminds me of something from my childhood. We had a little farm with a few cows, pigs, etc. None of that was a problem for us as we knew from the begining they were going to end up on our dinner plate. What was interesting, though, was that at one point we had a bunch of rabbits--which me and my siblings were forever playing with as pets. Dad was a little concerned about what the reaction was going to be as we approached butchering day. Turned out he was unknowingly raising a bunch of bloodthirsty cutthroats as we were continually pestering him that day to go out and get started so we could all help.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Spike

Default kids watching hunting shows

i think a bigger issue for them watching something being killed is fledgeling hunters watching the shows and thinking a "10 point" is taken on every outing. the shows depict sucess nearly every time, and as we all know this does not happen. they should be more accurate and demonstrate the hours and days that may be required for a shot. in other words, dont give them false hope, especially on thier first outings......
Old 10-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TY hunter
they should be more accurate and demonstrate the hours and days that may be required for a shot. in other words, dont give them false hope, especially on thier first outings......
That's the parent's job.

iSnipe
Old 10-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by minnesotadeer
Given the environment you're working in, I would not hesitate to play the hunting shows. Sears or Best Buy is another matter. I love to hunt and one of the favorite parts of getting my buck last year was my four year old son sitting on his back and lifting up his head by the horns for a picture.

That said, I haven't let my son watch hunting shows yet. I also haven't let him accompany me hunting. He's five now and thinks its great when I bring home deer, but he's shown no interest in going yet and I think I'll know when the time is right to bring him. Basically, I'm not sure he's ready to witness an animal die. And because I exclusively bowhunt, I don't want to take the chance I wound one or spine one in front of him. Before someone jumps all over me, I'm trying to do him a favor and make sure I think he's ready for the seriousness of the end result of hunting so he enjoys hunting and wants to keep going.

I think we sometimes as hunters, if we've done it long enough, forget that those who don't hunt haven't experienced the ups and downs that go along with taking an animal's life while deer hunting. There are a lot of positives to hunting that they wouldn't understand. The only see that bambi is dead and wonder why do we need to kill deer? We know but they don't and so while I don't apologize to anyone for hunting, I will also consider and take into account others' perspectives - as long as they don't interefere with mine or stop me from hunting.

And no, I didn't vote for Obama.
Very well said.

Even though kids are brought up in a house with hunters, some may be too young to handle watching a deer, or any animal, die. It's up to the parents to determine when they feel the child is old enough to accept it.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Spike

It’s sad to her comments like that but and it only shows how little she knows about hunting and it’s ethics, I have a 10 year old boy and he have been hunting with me since he was 3 three and he is aiming to shoot his first buck this year,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.