Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shot scare?

Old 10-10-2009, 10:44 PM
Spike

I went in Friday night, and had a family shooting trap for at least 4 hours within a mile of where I hunted. There were all sorts of rifles going off all over as people did whatever.

Today was opening day, rifles going off all over from dawn. A doe was eating 15 yards from me, full broadside exposed, without any concern while I was sitting on the ground with no camo and orange on. Deer react to movement, that's why camo isn't hugely important, that's why freaking out about shots isn't important...they care about the form pushing through the brush and that thing that moves in the bushes.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:51 AM
Spike

thx guys, i found it funny that today i heard over 60 shots coming from his house..while i was trying to bow hunt, i think some one is mad, dont bother me any cause all the deer came over to my land. haha
Old 10-11-2009, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

I'll agree with everyone else. Ive watched deer never move while a shot rings out just down the valley a ways in NY where I hunt, they get used to it and it never bothers them. And its your property, do as you please, he can't do anything it unless your shooting in an unsafe manner, and it endangers him.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

cant tell ya how many deer walk up on me while i use a chainsaw, on the other hand on openin day of rifle, i rarely squeeze 1 off, and everywhere around me is like the 4th of july, all the deer come over and mess up my food plot, how irritating it can be.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
cant tell ya how many deer walk up on me while i use a chainsaw, on the other hand on openin day of rifle, i rarely squeeze 1 off, and everywhere around me is like the 4th of july, all the deer come over and mess up my food plot, how irritating it can be.
I think shooting a deer while cutting trees would be considered to be baiting, illegal here in Iowa. I've seen deer move it to watch a guy with a chain saw twice now. Being browser, I think they are looking to get some feed from those twigs that they could not reach before the trees were cut down.