HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Auto Feeder question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/306312-auto-feeder-question.html)

SyPTo 10-08-2009 08:35 PM

Auto Feeder question

How long does a 6 volt battery (lantern batt) last on a remington hanging feeder ? , it's one of those photocell feeders.

it's a 6,5 gallon bucket and im kinda trying to figure out how many days i can let it go without checking , i drive a 18 wheeler so i cant exactly fill it every day...

any suggestions ?

TreestandPilot 10-08-2009 08:57 PM

I usually don't like to let mine go more than 10-12 days without checking it.

The problem you have is this: You don't want to get them in a pattern of visiting your feeder, then have the battery run down. They will immediately know there is no food there, so they will move on to where there is feed. So then, you put a new battery in and you have to start all over. So, I would do my best to never let it quit, or you'll be re-starting all over again.

Hope that helps! -Let us know if you bag something!

iSnipe 10-08-2009 09:08 PM

It may also help to mention how often you will be having the feeder turn on. The more activations per day, the less the battery you have over time.

=====================

Curious... how are you setting up your feeder? Hang from a tripod? Tree?

What kind of feed/bait are you or will be using?

iSnipe

SyPTo 10-09-2009 04:33 AM

it's a photocell feeder , it will only come on 2 times a day , one hour before sunrise and 1 hour after sunset...if i remember correct.

i can always wire 2 batteries together to make sure it doesn't run out , i just wonder if it will run out of food with a 6,5 gallon bucket...otherwise i may have to go findd me a bigger hopper...

timbercruiser 10-09-2009 04:55 AM

On running out, run a cycle and catch the corn. Then weigh it. Then weigh the amount of corn the feeder will hold and divide to get the number of feedings, divide by two to get the number of days. The quality of battery will also make a diference.

SyPTo 10-09-2009 05:02 AM

any advice on how much i should feed every feeding ?

the timer goes from 1 to 30 sec ...

Super G Force 10-09-2009 05:22 AM

I would recomend getting a solar panel and rechargable battery. You can get both for 25-30 dollars. I have had a solar panel and the same rechargable battery on my feeder for 1.5 years with no prob. Good luck.

Dbldroptine 10-09-2009 05:31 AM

I have a moultrie feeder not a remington but it also a photocell and I get at least one month of worry free operation. I usually change it out when adding feed but I sometimes I dont get to it and it is still running. I used a moultrie battery and a no name model from the fleet store and they seemed about the same.

Daveboone 10-09-2009 04:41 PM

My moultrie feeder with the 6 volt rechargeable from Cabelas lasted 4 months with 2 4 second feeds a day. I was amazed.

SyPTo 10-09-2009 05:20 PM

well i was kinda scared i was gonna run out of food , since the batt doesn't seem to be an issue , so i just went out and got a 225lb remington standing feeder instead of the hanging one...i rather would not run out of food...

i now got it set for a 5 sec feed at 5pm and 5 am and a short 3 sec at 11p , all at low rpm , since it seems to be spinning fast enough at low speed..