Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Sleepless night

Old 10-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

sleepless no doubt lol. good luck that adrenaline will wake you up when you lay eyes on him in the morning. whats the temp overnight up there? will the meat make it?
Old 10-09-2009, 03:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Temps in the mid 40s here in the southern zone, probably low 40s or even 30s in the northern zone, so the meat should be fine.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck on the search can't wiat to see the update, where in NY are you located? I live in Rochester now but grew up in Malone
Old 10-09-2009, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a good hit and a dead deer. He should be found nearby.

I shot a nice buck in a simialr situation in 2005. I was hunting a thicket near some fields, with residential properties to one side. I hit the deer well with a quartering away shot. I waited until dusk to check my arrow but could not find it. Came back the next AM, and every sycamore tree in there dropped their leaves overnight. The ground was covered. I found only very little blood and lost the trail. I had to resort to the grid method, covered the entire thicket from 2 directions adn turned up nothing. I then widended the search, basically into the back edges of the residential properties. One such property had a large "back yard" area that appreared to have been a garden a few years ago, but was then all weeds that were still standing about 2-3 feet high. He went right into the middle and laid down. That's where I found him. Found out I hit only one lung.

The moral to the story is if the search gets tricky, stick with it. Look in the obvious places, but also places that appear to offer less cover. A patch of cover surrounded by open areas is a good place for a deer to hole up, as they can see anything that approaches them.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

good job... i'm sure he won't be far... can't wait to see him..
Old 10-09-2009, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck! Rain won't help things, but from sounds of your hit, shouldn't go too far.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:56 AM
Typical Buck

yikes tigerw, hope it works out for you and get to see some visual material soon!!!
Old 10-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

Well? Any update?
Old 10-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

good luck man!
Old 10-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Spike

Great job!!! Looking forward to the news? I am a NY hunter in St. Lawrence county - love the hunting up here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.