Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Bumper crop of acorns, good or bad? >

Bumper crop of acorns, good or bad?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bumper crop of acorns, good or bad?

Old 10-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bumper crop of acorns, good or bad?

Got acorns the size of golfballs dropping by the barrel here. Must be good for deer nutrition, but seems like it would limit deer movement w/ so much food everywhere. Im not seeing much deer activity on the way to and from work, and its a full moon. I usually see 10-30 deer on the way home at night.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

My opinion, it is a mixed bag. In general the deer will be moving a good bit most all day long looking for the fresh acorns. About any place is going to be as good as the other. But the diufficulty is finding the "diner of the day". My advice is look for the trees that are dropping, look for the freshest poop sign and/or try to get in between where the deer are feeding and bedding, on the junction of 2 or more trails if at all possible. Good luck.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

My toughest years of bowhuntig have seemed to be years with massive acorn crops. Particularly a few years ago- i was really struggling to see deer movement. I finally found this small group of 8-10 oaks the deer NEVER left!! They were there no matter what time i got to my stand a.m. or p.m. and within 15-20 mins aftyer i got there would return. they would eat and lay down and eat some more. Hell there was so many acorns they were eating them while they were laying down!! Aftyer seeing these deer i quickly realized why everyone was complaining there was no deer movement. Now i just keep moving til i find the exact trees they are eating under.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

yeah, acorns fallin the deer wont need much more supplament, i have the same prob durin bow season here, if ya figure out where they are eatin e at..but good luck there are over 1000 oak trees where i am lol and not 1 on my property
so if ya find out what werks , not including hangin out under the acorn tree, i'd love to kno
Old 10-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Spike

we have acorns falling like rain but all of them seem to be bad with worms in them as soon as they hit so we are hoping not to have problems with deer coming to our feeders
Old 10-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

If they are truely the size of golf balls then they are Chestnut Oaks...Deer will hit them until the white oaks and pin oaks start dropping...

Find the preferred white oaks and you are in business...
Old 10-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt New England and my experience over the years has been if there is a large mast crop, deer sightings will usually be down. The deer don't have to move much to find feed. On years when the mast has been non-existant, deer movement is much higher and the odds for success increases. The same applies to hunting bear up here as well.

Although I understand the deer need this norishment and will help them get throught the nasty winters, etc. I am always happy to see plenty of feed for the deer during the Autumn yet getting into deer may be more difficult.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
If they are truely the size of golf balls then they are Chestnut Oaks...Deer will hit them until the white oaks and pin oaks start dropping...

Find the preferred white oaks and you are in business...
Ok mabye not golf balls, but big azz acorns non the less
Old 10-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by rh160kid
My toughest years of bowhuntig have seemed to be years with massive acorn crops. Particularly a few years ago- i was really struggling to see deer movement. I finally found this small group of 8-10 oaks the deer NEVER left!! They were there no matter what time i got to my stand a.m. or p.m. and within 15-20 mins aftyer i got there would return. they would eat and lay down and eat some more. Hell there was so many acorns they were eating them while they were laying down!! Aftyer seeing these deer i quickly realized why everyone was complaining there was no deer movement. Now i just keep moving til i find the exact trees they are eating under.
It is called the dominant tree. Find the oak with good acorns, distressed leaves (from deer rooting the leaves), whole and broken acorn caps (most other animals do not break or remove the caps), and lots of fresh droppings (deer crap where they eat). Notice i said fresh droppings not old dried out droppings. Hunt there you will see deer.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yup like everyone said find the dominant tree. I have now found that tree. I had 7 does and a nice 8 point eat under the same 2 oaks for 2 hours until I got busted by one of the momma does.