Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunter Harassment

Old 10-06-2009, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hunter Harassment

On Sunday evening around 5:30 or so, I was hunting on State Land and I kept hearing coyote calls, a periodic turkey call, and then more coyote calls. I thought it was strange because the calls were evenly spaced and IDENTICAL each time, but then thought to brush it off. I heard a women’s voice once from the area of where I heard the calls (coming from the state land), which also I thought was strange. When I was done hunting (didn’t see a hide) I cut across my friends property (which adjoins the state game area) and I told her about the noises. She and her friends (other hunters) told me that her neighbor doesn’t like people hunting behind their property on the state land and that others have heard these “predator calls” before. I cannot verify that they did do this, but after hearing this, it does make sense because I was sure it sounded like a recording while I was in my tree stand.

Needless to say, I really don’t want to go back there and hunt, and to bad too, because last time I hunted this area (2004 and 2005) I was very successful at spotting and getting my early season buck. What should I do? I did email a friend of mine who is a Conservation Officer in Northern Michigan about this but should I report it to a local Conservation Officer as well? Should I waste another day and try to hunt it, only to hear the dang calls again? Or should I do nothing and just hunt another area?

On top of all that, the "other friends" of my friend, didnt come out to hunt until 5:00pm on Sunday and parked there truck about 100 yards from the tree I was in and then just pranced through the woods, urghh!! I had been in the tree by then for over 2 hours...

There I vented....

Last edited by Stoningtonwhitetail; 10-15-2009 at 04:06 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:36 AM
Spike

If he is playing predator calls from his property then he is guilty of being a a-hole, but not breaking the law. The only real recourse I could think of is if there is a noise ordenance in the area.

Sounds to me like you just need to record a few noises of your own and go play them from 1am-5am. Maybe cat mating calls or something.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

no it sounded like the calls were coming from the state land, but again I couldnt confirm it.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

That raises an interesting question. If someone is making that type of noise on their own property, but to knowingly harass nearby hunters, are they subject to some of the laws that protect against harassment of hunters?
Old 10-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would report it to the local CO. Worse case, there's nothing he can do, best case, he pays a visit.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH
I would report it to the local CO. Worse case, there's nothing he can do, best case, he pays a visit.

MI has a hunter harassment law. Call the local officer. Perhaps even a visit to them reminding them that it is against the law to purposely scare game from hunters is all it will take to make them stop.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by spaniel
MI has a hunter harassment law. Call the local officer. Perhaps even a visit to them reminding them that it is against the law to purposely scare game from hunters is all it will take to make them stop.
I'd hunt the area, if you hear the predator calls again call the WCO. With hunter harassment laws its a ticket, mandatory court appearance and a fine. Maybe after it hits tehm in the pocket they'll change their tune. It don't matter if they are on their property or not, harassing is harassing.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Anti-hunters who disrupt legal hunting and angling activities are breaking the law. It is hunter harassment and it is illegal in all fifty states.
Report the incident to the authorities as soon as possible

Have an accurate description of the protestor, license plate number and vehicle identification

Remain calm and rational

Be prepared to file harassment charges

Remember that any law officer can enforce this law
If you have additional questions about hunter harassment laws in your state, please contact the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance at (614) 888-4868 or [email protected].
Old 10-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Spike

Hey keep us posted on what happens if you do go back.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

simple solution....win the lotto and buy lots of private land for yourself....haha.

oh and then invite me to help hunt it with ya....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.