Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How Do You Go About Still Hunting? >

How Do You Go About Still Hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How Do You Go About Still Hunting?

Old 10-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's good to hear your guy's methods and experiences. Funny how we all come about very similar methods while being so many states apart. Thanks for y'alls replies.

----------------------

turkey guide,

I hear what you're saying about that adrenaline and being intense. One of my few misses in life came when I was still hunting. The wind was blowing and while sneaking along, I came upon a doe in an open area not more than 50 yards from me. I was rifle hunting. I got so pumped, when I finally fired, I recall the cross-hairs a whole foot ABOVE her back! I was so keyed up, I lost it! LOL! Being on full alert is tense, then to finally see the game before it sees you gets the adrenaline(buck fever) going.

Thanks,

iSnipe
Old 10-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by turkey guide
Still hunting to me is stalking on the ground. Moving from cover to cover, trying to sound like, smell like and look like anything but a human. Take a few steps then be still (quiet and motionless) for a while and look around, then when you are sure nothing is out there looking back, move a few more steps. It has always worked well for me for turkeys and deer with gun or bow. You can even take a stand for hours between stalking. I learned to sneak up on turkeys many years ago, and that isn't easy, when you have to get within shotgun range, but it's fun. Plus turkeys in my opinion are more difficult to approach than deer. Something that I learned in the military actually helps even though I had this figured out years before, convince yourself that blowing your cover will get you killed! In reality you will only lose a game animal, but stalk that animal as if it were a person who will kill you if you're seen. Be determined to win this battle or die. Your adrenaline will be up anyway and you have to think everything through so as not to make a mistake. Your equipment must be ready, you must be well trained, and you must have a plan, or die! Very intense training but it works.
Stand hunting, is taking a stand, and staying put, whether in a tree or a blind or where ever for hours or for the day.
Then there is spot and stalk which in my area is drive around until you see what you want then leave the truck and try to move in on that animal. But this can also be done on foot after glassing an area and spotting your game.
No matter what method you use take your time and keep your eyes open, I have killed so many more deer on the way to the stand than from it. Out of over 100 deer killed, 24 were bucks with a rifle and probably 4-5 from a stand the rest on the way to a stand or stalking.

lol killer idea... i think ill try it, i a wonderin if it will take the fun out, ya kno thinkin ya might die any second, but is a good hard practice would prolly pay off, lol my buddies will start wonderin what the bunkers are for lol

good idea i like it
Old 10-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

lots of different ways to still hunt ... my favorite is to pick a windy or rainy day and still hunt bedding zones or corn fields .. thickets ...start by going as slow as possible nose into the wind .. picking out next 10 steps before moving then scanning the the woods for parts of deer stopping more often than walking ... could take hours to go 100 yards... then there's the still hunt push we use as a drive tech niche where two guys still hunt quietly at a mosey type pace alternating distances of travel in hopes of pushing a deer past the other hunter or a posted hunter ahead.. if your just sitting hoping a deer walks past thats stand hunting or taking up a post .
Old 10-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's easy; you have to see them before they see you..........
Old 10-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

still hunting to me is sitting still...like in a stand. slowly moving through the woods is called stalking.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

Halfbaked. Just don't pull the pins on the hand grenades till your ready! And to everyone call your hunting whatever you want, as long as your'e safely having fun and it works for you who cares! And Baked, I don't think it will take the fun out at all. For me I't puts me on edge, but hightens my awareness to the point that I see and smell and feel everything around me. It's kinda like being pumped up for a fight, which in battle you truely are, and being ready for anything that threatens, and everything is in slow motion in your head. You are excited and a little afraid that things wont go you way. You know your training will take over as soon as that buck appears, you know muscle memory will guide your body to bring the weapon to bear and deliver the perfecy shot without even realizing that you drew your bow or clicked the safety off. Everything will come together if you have enough practice, but first you must remain unseen and that comes naturally, but requires practice. Just try to imagine sniper training, if you've ever seen shows about it on tv you know what I mean. Moving so slowly and under concealment from the enemy until you get the shot.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

What Is Still Hunting?

"is the practice of walking quietly in search of animals"

source: https://scorpio.cs.usfca.edu/wiki/index.php/Hunter
=====

"(Hunting) Moving slowly through cover trying to spot...game. The object is to use your eyes more than your feet. You should spend more time standing still than walking."

source: basspro.com (url way too long to list)
=====

"Still-hunting is a tactic that requires a variety of skills that fall under the general category of woodsmanship. The basic premise behind still hunting is that the hunter slowly moves through an area known to hold deer, hoping to spot a deer before the animal spots the hunter..."

source: http://www.cabelas.com/community-int...t-detail.shtml

That's what I refer to when I say "still hunting".

Thanks for the input guys. Nice reading!

iSnipe
Old 10-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok yeah that makes more sense now. Around here its called stalking.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

yeah i am defiantly feelin ya on actin like your gonna die if you are seen, it would keep ya on edge. the only time i walk up on deer is when we are shootin the breeze walkin through the woods , and usually not season and i have never had a killin machine with me at the time, i will try this kill or be killed method this weekend when i go out.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually the difference between still hunting and stalking is in still hunting you are searching for deer. In stalking you have identified a target and are trying to move in to get a shot. Ex. your are moving slowly thru the woods looking for deer - you are still hunting. You spot a deer and are trying to move in for a good shot - you are now stalking that animal.

It's just like chasing women. When you go to the bar looking for women you are still hunting. When you start following a particular gal you are stalking!

Last edited by magicman54494; 10-08-2009 at 11:40 AM.