Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
hunting advice.why pay outfitters?? >

hunting advice.why pay outfitters??

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting advice.why pay outfitters??

Old 10-05-2009, 03:45 AM
Spike

Unhappy hunting advice.why pay outfitters??

hello
i want to indulge in hunting but i also dont want to pay thousands of dollars to outfitters.
can anyone advice me on whats the best way to get started on a low budget.
ive heard that hunting on public lands is free.if true then why would anyone pay $$$$$ to outfitters?
please enlighten me.

thanks
castor
Old 10-05-2009, 04:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

In some states/countries it is required for a non-resident to be accompanied by a guide/outfitter. In many cases the outfititer leases exclusive rights for hunting in an area and for a fee will allow you to hunt there. For out of state hunters that want to harvest an animal that is either larger than what is available in their area of hunting or may not be available in their area it is a good set up. Sometimes either a no shot/no pay or return hunt is offered. They offer transportation, blinds, land, food, guide, sleeping accomodations, care of harvested game, license and other very helpful resources to the out of state/area hunter.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

I've never used an outfitter. Take a hunter's gun course somewhere to learn the basics of the firearm, then look on line for your local Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs).
Old 10-05-2009, 06:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Outfitters= trophy bucks
Old 10-05-2009, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

An outfitter will tell you..... " Now, that deer right there will cost you $13,000... and the one beside him will cost you 25,000." Outfitters = wallet hunters!
Old 10-05-2009, 07:04 AM
Spike

If you are looking to hunt in a different are or never hunted the game you are going after they are great. I know many people who go once or twice to a outfitter and try to learn as much as they can so they can go by themselves the next time. They know the game you are going after and a good guide will teach you waht you need to know to do it yourself.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

They know the land and do all the scouting for you. If I drove out to Kansas or Iowa or some other place, I'd have no idea where to go. I would waste the whole week learning the land. The outfitter knows the land and scouts it thoroughly.

On the other hand, you don't know how many other hunters are hunting that same stand either.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

to start with we need to know what you want to hunt and in what state.i've yet to see a whitetail that i'd pay to kill.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

this comes up every so often and everyone has their own reasons. I've been on three outfitted elk hunts, bugling during archery season. Here's why I paid:

- Animal I don't know how to hunt, but have always wanted to. Speeds up the learning curve which is important if you don't have years to figure it out.
- Equipment. for local deer hunting I need my bow, a tree stand and a rope to drag em out. Elk isn't like that
- Scouting. I have yet to find a place to scout to hunt elk locally :-)
- Access to the land and knowledge of the land

for the people that equate "outfitter" to pay to shoot, that's crap. Yes there are some, but what I consider an outfitter is far from a guarentee. On my elk hunts I've learned to call, helped in making plans, done stalking and calling on my own etc.

When you have to balance vacation time with hunting time and family time, there often isn't the time to do the "groundwork" yourself. Outfitters allow a shortcut. You pay for the groundwork, then when you get there you participate in the hunt, not just killing.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's easy for residents to say "I'd never pay an outfitter" especially when they live out west with lots of public land all over and limited tags.

You don't need an outfitter to hunt just about anything, but why do people? well guys who have the money to spend and don't feel like the hassle of DIY, setting up camp, cooking, horses, and what not, they pay an outfitter to do that. Also outfitters alot of time have private land leased up, or access to it at least that you or I wouldn't

As well outfitters maybe have ties to landowner tags etc...so rather than waiting 5yrs or so to draw a tag, a guy can just pay for a hunt and go hunt.

There's a few key reasons in my eyes. Best of luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.