Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Question: whats this "gamey meat" taste thing?? >

Question: whats this "gamey meat" taste thing??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question: whats this "gamey meat" taste thing??

Old 10-04-2009, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

the older the deer is the more wild taste
Old 10-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

I have shot plenty of older (3-4 yr old)deer, and have never noticed a change in taste if equally cared for. Deer has tallow, not fat like livestock. It must all be removed, the taste is very noticeable. All too many deer are poorly field dressed (gut shot, bladder ruptured, stool spilled) which can taint the meat. Dirt and other contaminents frequently enter the body cavity. Many deer are shot more for "show" than the table. they are driven around town,then hung outside for god knows how long. A dead deer equal meat. It must be cooled down quickly. A quick rinse with a hose inside helps cool it and get rid of contaminents. (some say such garbage as the rinsing sours the meat. Then why are we 85% water? Every butcher rinses the deer. Timely processing is the key.) I toss a couple of bags of ice in the body cavity if it is above freezing, just as fast as I can get the ice. I beleive " Gaminess" is a combination of these factors, resulting in poor meat in the long run. Also, many people dont respect venison for the type of meat it is. There is no marbled fat like beef, and it is well done when it is still quite pink. Get used to it that way.It is how it is supposed to be served.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

The gamey taste of deer meat is mostly from poor field prep and butchering technique...make sure to remove ALL connective tissue (most of the strong taste)...this is easy to do if you process it yourself...many butchers in the sake of speed and with power equipment simply cut through it and grind it up...

To avoid the higher iron issue in the blood, soak all deer meat in a brine (salt water) solution for 2-3 hours in the frig...then pour out the water/blood...add some Italian dressing (or your favorite marinade) for another hour or two...

Marinades with some fat or oil content is best, because deer meat is so lean...

Do NOT overcook deer...if it looks medium rare it is done...

Well done = cremated

When properly handled in the field, processed, and cooked there is NO "wild" or "gamey" taste, in fact it is some of the best tasting meat available.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Spike

Funny how venison is very highly regarded in the UK, Europe, and much of the world. You don't see people in four star restaurants turning it down because it's "gamey." My wife recently decided she actually prefers venison roasts to beef, and she loves backstraps like any sane person.

But I work with someone who says she hates venison because of the taste. She grew up eating it, and for some reason really dislikes it.

Last edited by Gromky; 10-04-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

I allways have made shots in the boiler room and we hang up our deer, cut out the esophagus (sp.) and let it drain till its done. Then we get to work cutting it up.
I have never had any trouble with my meat.
I was just wondering where this "gamey" taste every one seems to think all deer taste like comes from.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gamey=Better in my mind.

No offense meant, but you're friends sound spoiled. They get what they want handed to them, so they can still be picky. I wouldn't waste good deer meat on them. I'd give it to someone who would really appreciate it (as mentioned before), and who is already trying to support themselves and just needs a little help.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Fork Horn

I agree that soaking makes meat taste better, but I soak the meat all day in my favorite beer, then grill.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by srwshooter
the gamey taste is just the differents in deer compaired to beef. like pork and chicken,there different.

people that soak deer to make it less gamey ,just don't like deer.
Wrong! People (at least I do) soak deer to get the "gamey" flavored blood out! I love deer. I don't love deer blood so I soak it.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know what to tell you bud, uneducated people I guess.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think this "gamey" taste has anything to do with field dressing or processing. Venison tastes a bit different than beef and that is about all there is to this "gamey" taste people talk about. Pork tastes different and so does lamb. Why should anyone think all the different kinds of meats will taste the same as beef??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.