Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What scent for a mock scrape?

Old 10-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Spike

Default What scent for a mock scrape?

I'm thinking about setting up a mock scrape near a hunting blind and possibly setting a trail camera on it. What scent do you guys recommend? I'm thinking about getting a dripper. The peak of the rut is still over a month away, what scents would work best for the early fall? Any tips would be great.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

One tip is to not set the mock scrape too far away from where a buck would want to travel. You want him going in a general direction where he would be going anyway.

Buck urine, doe urine or a little bit of tarsal juice that comes in the bottle with the tarsal.(if you buy it)

iSnipe
Old 10-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Spike

You need an overhead limb for him to hook. Just pee in it.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Magic
You need an overhead limb for him to hook. Just pee in it.
Are you kidding me?!!?!! You don't pee in yourself, WTF!!!
Old 10-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I set them up no more than 10 yards from a heavy trail. make sure you have an overhanging brach for him to monkey with, and I would use some buck urine in the middle of the scrape, and then sprinkle some doe urine around the outside of it.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SRBowman
Done it,it works.I let it soak in then add some buck and doe pee.Near and during the rut I drip the 'Ol Tinks 69 or Code blue.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:52 AM
Spike

Thanks guys. I have heard the human pee trick. Suposedly the deer can't tell the difference.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

Trails End, #307 I think the number is.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:05 AM
Typical Buck

i used tinks power scrape-mock scrape starter last year and it worked VERY well. As said make sure you have an overhanging lickin branch. A good bet is to set up your scrape where there have been scrapes in past years-i have several spots where scrapes have been under the same branch year after year. Once established and the rut draws closer i switch over to a doe in heat buck urine combo. If you really want to torque em up take some dirt out of a scrape in a different hunting area and put it in your scrape and watch what happens!!!! Not to mention its free and 100% fresh. Make sure to use rubber gloves when doin anything with a scrape!!! Mock scrapes are probably my favorite pre rut tactic to use- if you know what you are doing it can be very productive.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Exclamation

Originally Posted by SRBowman
It works; trust me. I made a mock scrape, laid a couple of sticks in it, peed over the whole works only to have a buck work the scrape the next day. LOL!

iSnipe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.