Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When are fawns independant?

Old 10-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wingchaser_labs
Well the rain quit, sort of, and mumma got it. She had one doe fawn with her and wasn't real big but average I guess. Double lunged mom at 25 just before dark and she took off into the woods. Heard her crash and kickin her legs. The fawn stood there goin what the heck for about 30 seconds and then took off into the woods. Went back to get the doe an hour later and the fawn was back in the field eating. I'm about 99% sure it was the same fawn. Same spot by itself and it was a doe fawn. Shined her with the spot light and got fairly close. She seemed fine munchin on her alfalfa. Ended up being a good size doe probably a two and a half year old. WCL

Im no wild life biologist but Id say that fawn is independent now

I would have to think that come hunting season if fawns could not survive without "mom" the deer herd would be really depleted.

I say shoot .
Old 10-03-2009, 02:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dprsdhunter
Im no wild life biologist but Id say that fawn is independent now

I would have to think that come hunting season if fawns could not survive without "mom" the deer herd would be really depleted.

I say shoot .
Yup, they don't use the data and opinions of wildlife biologists in the decisions of season start and end dates for nothin. If the season is open your good to go. WCL
Old 10-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

Fawns can be weaned at two months. I have no problem taking does with fawns this time of year.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any fawn this time of year will be OK if the mother is killed. When the rut starts, buck fawns are generally run off and will stay solitary or pair up with another button. Doe fawns will usually stay in the vicinity of the mother and pair back up with her after she is bred and will stay with the mother in the same doe group possibly for years.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:14 AM
Fork Horn

They become independant when i drop the string. Get out there and wean those littleuns.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

As long as the spots are gone I shoot.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've let a lot of does walk with fawns, but it's all about choice.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the input a lot of good stuff, lot of opinions too lol. i wouldnt shoot a fawn with spots personally but i was more asking whether they will live if i shoot the mother. from what ive heard, next doe i see there is gonna be an arrow floatin her way. thanks again.