Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When are fawns independant?

Old 10-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I watched a lone fawn w/ no spots, for around 15 minutes yesterday eating my neighbors flowers. No momma anywhere in sight,(probably roadkill) didnt look any worse for wear.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse
You shoot momma first and then the fawns after. They will stay right there and are easy targets.
Very true I done this about 2-3 years back I was sitting on a clearing that a powerline goes down, any who I was there probably an hour and seen 3 deer walking through the woods on the other side, they came straight out infront of my ladder stand, it was a nanny doe and looked like 2 yearlings with her. I shot the big doe walking straight for me then the 2 yearlings jumped to my left a few yards and looked back so I shot one of them the last one made the same mistake again so I shot that one also. It all happend in about 30 seconds from the first shot I was pumped, then I had to wait for my uncle to come pic me up, he couldnt believe it.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
I watched a lone fawn w/ no spots, for around 15 minutes yesterday eating my neighbors flowers. No momma anywhere in sight,(probably roadkill) didnt look any worse for wear.
Most likely that was a nubbin. Alot of nubbins now are starting to leave mom on their own or they just leave her earlier than she would leave the bedding area to go feed and they meet up later somewhere. Seems like nubbins tend to drift in and out with mom and some just leave mom. Doe fawns tend to stick with mom always but sometimes now this time of year they will do the same and go off feeding on their own if they get hungry and mom will meet up with them later. WCL
Old 10-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

By now mom is more worried about building fat for the breeding season to worry about her fawns and she knows that they are old enough to be independent if they need to be but until they don't have to be she takes care of them. Thats why you see her letting them go off on their own a bit where all of a sudden a doe appears after you watch a fawn for an hour feeding or all of a sudden the fawns appear after watching the doe for awhile........ No fawns are in need of milk anymore. Will they take it if mom lets them sure. I've seen fawns with milk on their face the end of november. They don't need it but they'll take it if mom offers. They can find enough food on their own by now and will meet up with other groups of deer for safety if mom goes "missing". I've never hesitated to shoot a doe with fawns. Will wack one tonight if this rain ever quits. WCL
Old 10-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

When are fawns independant?

As soon as you get them their drivers license!
Old 10-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

newborn fawns are actually abandoned by their mothers temporarily they have different scents the adults scent attracts predators so they leave the newborns so they dont attract predators
Old 10-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

Sometimes the fawns will stick together after momma has a mishap and then shooting the bigger/more dominant one leads to an easy shot on the other one
Old 10-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

Don't the bucks chase off the does fawns during the rut anyway?

I thought i read an article in Deer And Deer Hunting magazine a few years ago that said fawns can and do survive if their mother is shot. I could have swore it also said they have a better chance of surviving if they are on their own sooner.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know when they become independent...but my rule is if they have spots they're free to go.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wingchaser_labs
I've never hesitated to shoot a doe with fawns. Will wack one tonight if this rain ever quits. WCL
Well the rain quit, sort of, and mumma got it. She had one doe fawn with her and wasn't real big but average I guess. Double lunged mom at 25 just before dark and she took off into the woods. Heard her crash and kickin her legs. The fawn stood there goin what the heck for about 30 seconds and then took off into the woods. Went back to get the doe an hour later and the fawn was back in the field eating. I'm about 99% sure it was the same fawn. Same spot by itself and it was a doe fawn. Shined her with the spot light and got fairly close. She seemed fine munchin on her alfalfa. Ended up being a good size doe probably a two and a half year old. WCL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.