HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   removing deer ticks (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/305494-removing-deer-ticks.html)

magicman54494 10-01-2009 08:24 AM

removing deer ticks

I just removed an imbedded deer tick. I can never pull them out. I always break them off and end up with part of them still in me. Regular ticks always pull easy but I never can pull a deer tick. The only way I can get the rest out is to dig a needle under the imbedded part and lift and cut away a hunk of meat. This is not fun!
Is there an easier way?

iSnipe 10-01-2009 08:30 AM

You know, now that you mention it, I noticed the same thing with myself and the dogs. Those dang deer ticks can really get a hold compared to a normal one. Good observation. I'd like to know as well.

iSnipe

Gremlin1104 10-01-2009 08:51 AM

Removing Ticks

As a public health professional let me suggest the following:

This is great, because it works in those places where it's some times difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark hair, etc. Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball.

Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and let it stay on the repulsive insect for a few seconds (15-20), after which the tick will come out on it's own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away.

Take care not to do the following:
  • Do not use sharp tweezers.
  • Do not crush, puncture, or squeeze the tick's body.
  • Do not use a twisting or jerking motion to remove the tick.
  • Do not handle the tick with bare hands.
  • Do not try to make the tick let go by holding a hot match or cigarette close to it.
  • Do not try to smother the tick by covering it with petroleum jelly or nail polish.
Do I need to take an antibiotic?
Most people do not need an antibiotic. In most cases, ticks have to be attached to the body for 24 to 48 hours to transmit disease. However, you should see your doctor if you develop redness, swelling, pain, fever, or other symptoms after you are bitten by a tick.
How can I prevent tick bites?
  • If you spend a lot of time outdoors during tick season (mid-spring to mid-summer), check your body and scalp often for ticks.
  • Wear light-colored clothes that cover most of your skin when you go into the woods or an area overgrown with grass and bushes. (This makes it easier to see ticks on your clothes.) Wear a long-sleeved shirt and pants instead of shorts. Tuck the legs of your pants into your socks for added protection. Remember that ticks are usually found close to the ground, especially in moist, shaded areas.
  • Insect repellent containing the chemical DEET repels ticks. Be careful to follow the directions on the label, and do not apply more than recommended, especially on children.

Wingbone 10-01-2009 09:03 AM

I've never been able to remove a deer tick intact. They always seem to lose their head. I can do it just fine with the regular wood ticks.

magicman54494 10-01-2009 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Gremlin1104 (Post 3460170)
As a public health professional let me suggest the following:

This is great, because it works in those places where it's some times difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark hair, etc. Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball.

Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and let it stay on the repulsive insect for a few seconds (15-20), after which the tick will come out on it's own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away.

Take care not to do the following:
  • Do not use sharp tweezers.
  • Do not crush, puncture, or squeeze the tick's body.
  • Do not use a twisting or jerking motion to remove the tick.
  • Do not handle the tick with bare hands.
  • Do not try to make the tick let go by holding a hot match or cigarette close to it.
  • Do not try to smother the tick by covering it with petroleum jelly or nail polish.
Do I need to take an antibiotic?
Most people do not need an antibiotic. In most cases, ticks have to be attached to the body for 24 to 48 hours to transmit disease. However, you should see your doctor if you develop redness, swelling, pain, fever, or other symptoms after you are bitten by a tick.
How can I prevent tick bites?
  • If you spend a lot of time outdoors during tick season (mid-spring to mid-summer), check your body and scalp often for ticks.
  • Wear light-colored clothes that cover most of your skin when you go into the woods or an area overgrown with grass and bushes. (This makes it easier to see ticks on your clothes.) Wear a long-sleeved shirt and pants instead of shorts. Tuck the legs of your pants into your socks for added protection. Remember that ticks are usually found close to the ground, especially in moist, shaded areas.
  • Insect repellent containing the chemical DEET repels ticks. Be careful to follow the directions on the label, and do not apply more than recommended, especially on children.

I will try this! It sounds a lot better then cutting away a hunk of meat each time. I should have posted BEFORE operating!

DeerandbearhoG 10-01-2009 09:40 AM

insert the corner of a razor blade or small thin knife under the head ,they will let go and pull out easy . sound too simple I know, but its worked for me several times.

Hoyt_Viper 10-01-2009 10:41 AM

Todd,

get a bottle of Makers Mark and sit down and get drunk, dont worry about it until you can do the whole surgery with exacto knife. JK :lmao:

Glad to see you are still sporting the snow and ice beard!

Seriously, watch it and see if it starts to look red all around it, then maybe get some antibiotics to keep from blood poisoning.

Good thing its not a nad bite! Could get interesting to have a nurse check it out!

halfbakedi420 10-01-2009 10:52 AM

deer camp list.....
bow? chek
arrows? check
boots? chek
cotton ball? chek
liquid soap? chek

bugsNbows 10-01-2009 12:56 PM

+1 Gremlin's comments

wild at heart 10-01-2009 12:56 PM

I gotta ask the professional, why do recommend not burning the tick? That's what I have always done. Why is this harmful?