Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

College student deer hunter

Old 09-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default College student deer hunter

I'm a full time college student and my usual/favorite place to hunt where all my deer management and trophy bucks are. It's about an hour and a hlaf home. I was wondering what some people would do in my situation?
Old 09-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was in your situation in college and drove home every weekend of the season. I went as far as to schedule a short day on Friday so i could drive an hour home and hunt Friday afternoon, Sat., and Sunday. Then pack up Sunday night and head back. My grades would suffer a little during the fall semester, but so would the bucks
Old 09-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Typical Buck

having just graduated college two years ago, i was in a similar situation. where i connected was at the local archery shops, fishing holes, volunteer activites for hunter education, hell, even many professors. simply putting it out there "hey, i love the outdoors" opened a lot of doors locally to penn state university park, i am still friends with many of these folks, and have harvested quite a few deer from sight distance of beaver stadium.

though, i am a softy and always love hunting back home where i shot my first deer, first buck, and turkey out of the same woods...my advice, secure opportunities throughout the week near the college and as bryant said, try to schedule time to get home when possible...if not, no worries, take your bow or gun for a walk in the woods after classes
Old 10-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

Go home and hunt...I'm in school right now and go home ALL the time in the fall to hunt...I'd rather spend my money on gas goin to and from my hometown to hunt and on licenses than downtown at the bars...but hey that's just me...I'd rather be out in the quietness of the timber ANY day then downtown listening to drunken annoying freshmen girls telling every guy how drunk she is...yes...go home and hunt!
Old 10-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

While in college my weekend drive home was 4 hours and was like going to the liqu.... oops, grocery store. No big deal. Get your priorities straight. Pack up and head out hunting!

iSnipe
Old 10-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im in the same situation as you and I just made the 2 hour trip home tonight to hunt opening day saturday! I am trying to find some spots to hunt around school so i dont have to drive home every weekend but I will still make the trip fairly often.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:00 AM
Typical Buck

I am at school right now and I hunt state land all around the school. Check your DEC and see if there is any state land near by so u can hunt closer to school
Old 10-02-2009, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

I was 3 hours from home. I looked into state lands close to school, and also asked my professors. Many of my profs lived out in the country and decent amounts of land, so that gave me some opportunities. I tried to get home twice a month to hunt for a weekend tho.
-Jake