Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Question about stopping a deer >

Question about stopping a deer

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question about stopping a deer

Old 09-28-2009, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default Question about stopping a deer

Last week I went up to my Hunting Club in North Florida with my dad and found a promising spot. It is a fenceline that splits our club and private property. And the deer are crossing the fenceline really heavily in one spot. The reason I know this is b/c it rained 6 hours previous of our arrival to our club and their was a dozen fresh set of tracks and hair on the ground and fence. The area around the fenceline is very thick so a quick shot will be needed.

I plan on hunting this fenceline during muzzleloader. However, I was wandering what I should do if the deer crosses the fenceline in a rush and is moving too fast for a shot?

This is my first post I have done so bare with me. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Typical Buck

you can whistle yell blow of a grunt or bleat call
Old 09-28-2009, 04:34 PM
Typical Buck

if you need to stop a fast moving deer for a shot its goin to have to be loud. his/her attention will be on gettin to where they are goin quickly. anything to soft and they will not hear you and not stop. i would yell real loud and be damn ready to shoot quick!!!
Old 09-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rh160kid
if you need to stop a fast moving deer for a shot its goin to have to be loud. his/her attention will be on gettin to where they are goin quickly. anything to soft and they will not hear you and not stop. i would yell real loud and be damn ready to shoot quick!!!

absolutly!!!!!1
Old 09-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=FlaBoy18;3456960..............I was wandering what I should do if the deer crosses the fenceline in a rush and is moving too fast for a shot?
[/quote]

The answer to this question is simple: don't shoot. Additionally, your chances of stopping a deer under the circumstances you describe are very low. Most anything you do at that point will further harry the deer. Wait for a better opportunity.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advice.

Is there some kind of attractant I could use to stop the deer like corn or buck jam. What would work the best?
Old 09-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most likely the first few deer through the fence area won't be what you are looking for. Practice on them to see their reaction. Yes, sometimes the condition prevent the deer from hearing you, so make sure whatever it is you do it loud enough for them to hear. The second to the last thing I would do is whistle to stop a deer. The first is to say something, like... HEY! Doing these two noises will put deer on high alert and will ready them to bolt at any moment. Grunting with a tube or your mouth are good choices as they are more natural. Since you will be using a muzzle loader, you will have an advantage over a bowhunter if the shot is rushed because they won't jump the string... nor your sabot. LOL! Good timing to make the sound is when they are in the air or just as they land.

iSnipe
Old 09-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes the wind isn't right for lure to be used. They could walk right by without smelling it. I'd highly recommend making a large visible scrape right in their path. Go ahead and add a little urine or lure there. That way they will visually see the scrape first and stop for a sniff. Deer can't resist poking their noise in a scrape.

iSnipe
Old 09-29-2009, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the deer is walking, and you are within 50 yds, shoot it. Don't worry about stopping walking deer within that reange. You are hunting, not filming a TV show. Set up within reasonable range, in a spot where you can first see the deer coming, so you can be ready for it to hit a shooting lane.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:31 AM
Fork Horn

whistling always works for me, if I know I am going to loose the shot forever if I didnt, otherwise I use a grunt call if I just need him to stand still.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.