Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mossberg 500

Old 09-30-2009, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Considering the fact that they have BB guns out that cost more than that, $200 is a great deal for any gun

Well, except for a Carcano
Old 09-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

i got a 500 and i love it it is so easy to dis assemble and clean and it has never failed me
Old 09-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Spike

i had a 500 when i was younger i loved the gun, i ended up selling and buy me a 535 for turkey hunting mossbergs never done me wrong..
Old 09-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

Just does not make sense??
The deer jumped in front of him and the gun jambed ?
So he was hunting with no round in the chamber?

I deer hunted with a 12ga 500 (rifled -iron sights)
I could keep a 4" group at 100 yards bench rest, killed many many deer, My eyes got old and I mounted a Red Dot on the receiver, used it for a couple more years.
I finally out grew the 8 pound trigger.

Slack

Originally Posted by mackesr
My hunting buddy bought a Mossberg 500 quite a few years back because it was fully camoed and all. It has jammed up on him many times and I kept telling him to get rid of it. Last year a beautiful ten pointer jumped right out in front of him and the gun jammed again!! Needless to say he finally got rid of that gun. Now I am not saying that all Mossbergs are junk because I have not had much experience with them other than this one incident. I have owned several Remington 870 Express's and never had a single problem with any of them. Just something to add to the general discussion. Best of luck to you.......
Old 09-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

I use a 500 for pheasent and turkey; I used to use it for deer hunting too but i bought a remington 870 for that. Anyway I have shot a countless number of rounds through my 500 and have had no problems at all. The 500 is certainly a work horse for the money.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I normally shoot an 870 and love it but due to scope problems the night before opening day for deer I swtiched to my buddys extra 500. It worked fine and I killed the biggest whitetail of my life with it. If you are just starting out I would jump on it. You are not going to find an 870 combo for anywhere near that price and the 500 for $200 and the gun should be just fine. If it is the stock scope it came with you are going to need to replace it, it is garbage. Other than that, you should be fine.

If you have a problem with it jamming, just give it a good cleaning. I know 3 other guys that have them and they think it is a great gun. It def. is not the best gun in the world but a perfect gun to start your hunting career with.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

I have owned and shot the hell out of a Mossburg for 25 years and have had no problems. Passed that one on to bro-inlaw still functioning flawlessly for $200. Thats $50 more than I paid for it new in 1985 and well worth it in todays market. Only reason I passed it on was I bought a new one for 31/2" shells in a collapsible stocked camo turkey gun that cost $497. I have shot Remingtons and Winchesters and others but like none better than Mossberg. If you don't want it tell me where to buy it at that price and see how fast it's gone.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Spike

Ever tried cleaning it?

Well, the gun wouldn't shoot clean, no chance at getting it dirty enough for that to be a problem. The gun hasn't had over 300 rounds through it. It was made for a gun cabinet. As far as driving nails...If you use the barrel it might work. When something fails to perform in the field it sits on the shelf. If you are looking for cheap buy a new england single shot, if you want a good reasonably priced shotgun, that nobody can argue with, has out-sold any other and fired more rounds when it counts...buy an 870.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:35 AM
Spike

Default I bought it

I BOUGHT IT and will post pics when I can!
Old 10-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Typical Buck

id say yes especially with a rifled barrel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.