Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mossberg 500

Old 09-29-2009, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had one for years and while certainly not the best it's a pretty good gun for the money.I now have an 835 and it's a step up.My father has an 870 and I see little if any advantage in it over the 500.If the condition is good I think it's a pretty good deal.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

My hunting buddy bought a Mossberg 500 quite a few years back because it was fully camoed and all. It has jammed up on him many times and I kept telling him to get rid of it. Last year a beautiful ten pointer jumped right out in front of him and the gun jammed again!! Needless to say he finally got rid of that gun. Now I am not saying that all Mossbergs are junk because I have not had much experience with them other than this one incident. I have owned several Remington 870 Express's and never had a single problem with any of them. Just something to add to the general discussion. Best of luck to you.......
Old 09-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Spike

My first 12ga was a Moss 500. It is now over 20 years old and a few years back I put a rifled barrel and scope on it. I can DRIVE NAILS with it at 75 yards and under.

As far as clunky and trigger not being great, go change your freaking tampoon!!! Don't over analyze it. If you pull the trigger and it hits the mark, then it works.

When I am hunting the swamps I use it because if I drop it in the mud I can wash it off in the river and it works just fine, and I didn't mess up a nice gun. The damn thing is indestructible!! I have even used it as a paddle before while duck hunting.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Wolverine41086
Need some expert help. I live in Delaware. Flat land, no rifle hunting allowed or I would be taking that route. I have someone trying to sell me a 12 gauge mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel and the other barrel set up for various chokes with a scope (unsure of what power or brand) for $200. I plan to hunt deer, ducks, geese maybe doves as well. Is this a good deal on the gun? I am really looking for something that I can use for everything and that seems to be it. It would really be a starter gun for now. I will definitely upgrade later. Thank you guys ahead of time!
YES!...............If it's in good shape, Jump on it!!!!!!..........I have had a 500 and an old model 835 (Combo) for years and have had no problems...........Shot Skeet & Trap with the 500 many, many times!

Last edited by Rebel Hog; 09-30-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

I too have a mossberg 500. Used it for 14 years in the worst of conditions. Never failed me. I think they are very good guns for the price.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Go for it! I have a 500 and a remington 870. Both are great shotguns, my mossy shoots slugs a little better, but I also have a mossy bolt action slug gun, so thats what I use now.
-Jake
Old 09-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

I own, and agree with all the posting here i am happy with my mossys but i take good care of them, have had them to the smith to take the horendoes 6-8 lb trigger down to a crisp 3lb. the rifle barrel i lapped with coumpound and use lightfield slugs with, uh its what you make out of it. some just dont like the looks of them... its a tool for a purpose. its just a different kind of hammer but its still a hammer.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

I'm a Remington guy and think the 870 is a far superior pump gun compared to the 500. That being said if you are looking for a decent all around shotgun the 500 should suit you just fine. One thing I would check out before I bought it is the scope. Slugs are absolutely brutal to scopes. If the package comes with a quality scope (nikon, leupold) I'd say its a real good deal. If the scope is a cheapo Tasco or BSA I'd offer him $150 at the most.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ive got a Mossberg 500 12 and love it. I put a brand new rifled barell on it a couple years ago and paid 180.00 for the barell alone. Tru-Glo Rifled sights and its also ported. This gun is very very accurate. I use it as my brush gun on drives or when sitting in some thick brush. Ive got mine sighted in at 100 yards and grouping just fine. Youll be getting a great deal!
Old 09-30-2009, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

i've had a 500 for years... i've had it wet, muddy, frozen... it still works as good as the day i got it. its not a really pretty gun, but it does its job, and does it well. 200 bucks is a pretty good deal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.