HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Another Name For Backstraps? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/305146-another-name-backstraps.html)

iSnipe 09-28-2009 10:44 AM

Another Name For Backstraps?

I did a site search for tenderloins and came up with several posts. There's a lot of people with the wrong information, but hey, if a guy wants to call his cuts of meat whatever he wants, so what. LOL!

Anyway, below are the 4 names I know for the backstraps:

1.) backstraps
2.) loins
3.) back loins
4.) NY strip

I am referring to the 2 strips of long meat "outside" the rib cage on both sides of the spine.

The other day I saw a guy referring to a backstrap as something else. Now I can't find that post. To me it struck me as something I use to call it.

I believe backstraps are the #1 term for these great cuts of meat. Now I won't be persuaded otherwise, but I call the two smaller tender cuts of meat just under the spine, inside the gut cavity, tenderloins.

Do you know of another name for backstraps?

iSnipe

kevin1 09-28-2009 10:49 AM

The two delectable loins(backstraps) run on either side of the spine outside the ribcage. The two, and much smaller tenderloins are located inside just inside of the hindquarters at the base of the spine as you indicated. Many call both "backstraps" interchangeably.

Orion in IL 09-28-2009 10:53 AM

I usually get 5 types of packages from the butcher (I have no room to do it at home myself): tenderloins, chops, steaks, roasts, ground.

Tenderloins = inside cavity (be careful not to cut them when field dressing)
Package from butcher says Tenderloins

Backstraps = along the spine on both sides (would be difficult if not impossible to cut these while field dressing)
Package from butcher says Chops

Therefore, I guess I refer to the backstraps as chops.

Then again - what is in a name...they are awesome no matter what you call them!

superstrutter 09-28-2009 11:58 AM

I've always called the two long strips along the backbone backstraps and the two small inner strips tenderloins. Sometimes the tenderloins in some bucks, usually 2 1/2 and older, have a strong wild taste, but I have never experienced this taste with doe tenderloins.

Jimmy S 09-28-2009 01:00 PM

We only use two names: backstraps and tenderloins.

rh160kid 09-28-2009 01:01 PM

i have also heard them called back loins and strip loins. As said the small inners are tenderloins and the long outside cuts are simply loins. funny how no one calls the loin from a cow or domestic pig backstraps. They are always called loins.

Bucktail_Bob 09-28-2009 01:08 PM

Do you guys cut out your tenderloins?
We take them out right after gutting. And are usually put right on the grill. There is nothing better.

MD DEERHUNTER 09-28-2009 02:54 PM

I've always called them back straps or loins. But NY strips??? That's a new one to me.

iSnipe 09-28-2009 03:18 PM

I guess I was wrong about calling the backstraps something else. I can't recall what it had been... if I had another name for them. Probably not. I've always known them as backstraps and tenderloins too.

Thanks for the replies guys. That clears that up. LOL!

iSnipe

lifesadrag 09-28-2009 03:19 PM

Down in So. Illinois i've heard them called catfish...that's how they mark the pkgs. I guess they think they resemble a catfish fillet.