Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Another Name For Backstraps?

Old 09-29-2009, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

how bout just plain delicious???

also, the inner tenderloins, here in central PA, my family and many others refer to them as simply "the fish"??? Are we strange for doing so, or do others do this too???
Old 09-29-2009, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by iSnipe
skeeter 7MM,

Are you saying all those different names are particular areas of the backstrap? If so, that's cool. Never knew there were so many specifics of one cut of meat.

iSnipe
Yes sir. Though should add majority of chuck steak is in the front shoulders. On deer this portion is the top end above the ribs closer to the neck!

Filet mignon or filets is the tenderloin(inner body cavity). Not from the backstraps or loins (outer).

Agreed all good!
Old 09-29-2009, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

Dinner and Delicious are the two most common names I hear.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Spike

Dinner!!!!!!!!
Old 09-30-2009, 04:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Being a butcher i can tell you that back straps(back loins) and tenderloins are two different pieces (cuts) of meat. The backstraps run on both sides of the spine and are usually about 24-32 inches long depending on the size of the deer. The tenderloins are just ahead of the rear quarters on the inside of the cavity. So many people dont even realize that they are there and are actually the best part of the deer in my opinion. Too many people have the entire deer ground up into burger wasting all the good cuts such as the roasts.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

Maybe the backstraps are what the butcher I used to have was labeling "fish loin"
Old 09-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

an old timer that recently has brought deer our way, since we butcher in the family, joked and said he has got the "fish" off of so many hunters, as they said the meat was no good, never had it, or just never knew about it too bad for him, as we keep all of them
Old 09-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by lifesadrag
Down in So. Illinois i've heard them called catfish...that's how they mark the pkgs. I guess they think they resemble a catfish fillet.
Beat me to it Good luck if you're goin' out tomorrow man, and hopefully it doesn't rain.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:01 PM
Fork Horn

I'm happy to call them anything you want as long as they're for dinner!
Old 10-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Spike

Yum-yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.