Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Another Name For Backstraps?

Old 09-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by MD DEERHUNTER
I've always called them back straps or loins. But NY strips??? That's a new one to me.

I may be mistaken but I think that the Tbone steak in cattle is basically the loin and tenderloin combined. The big side of the Tbone (loin side) is aka the NewYork strip, So maybe that is where he is comiong from.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah I've heard the tenderloins referred to as "catfish" also.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah they get confused alot....
Old 09-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

I call them the Campbell soup straps !

Because they're M M GOOD!
Old 09-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I call the strips of meat inside that you cut out when field dressing tenderloins. I call the strips that you take right under the spine on the outside backstraps. Whatever you call them, they sure tasted good grilled earlier this evening!
Old 09-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

I do my lil celebratoral grilly with some beers AS SOON as i get the brown devil hung in da tree...zip...out the tenderloins and on the grill....

ps...sombody above said chops and loins...cant have both ways...u either you get chops or lions..if you get chops you get your circle of lion in each one...just sayin
Old 09-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I call them backstraps which include the following cuts (head to hip): Chuck, Rib steak - Rib, Ribeye, Wing, etc & Short loins ( strip loin, ny strip, etc). Tbone and poterhouse steaks (larger portion of tenderloin) are a short loin steak with tenderloin attached. Tenderloin alone is often referred to as filets.

Tenderloin is the inner muscle, here some refer to them as teardrops.

I remove tenderloins as soon as possible on game to minimize skin over/loss.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

Originally Posted by skeeter 7MM
...backstraps which include the following cuts (head to hip): Chuck, Rib steak - Rib, Ribeye, Wing, etc & Short loins....
skeeter 7MM,

Are you saying all those different names are particular areas of the backstrap? If so, that's cool. Never knew there were so many specifics of one cut of meat.

The rest of you, appreciate the additional replies. Actually learned a bit here. Also, I have to agree no matter what you name it, it tastes goooooood!

iSnipe
Old 09-29-2009, 04:23 AM
Typical Buck

chicken fried steak
Old 09-29-2009, 07:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think that it is pretty much the same cut of meat that is called filet mignon if it is beef. Never heard it called filet mignon though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.