Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Turning climber into hangon?

Old 09-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default Turning climber into hangon?

I am going up to my property this weekend in New York.. I have a climber tree stand that we never use because It is very dangerous because it does not grab the tree very well... I was thinking about turning it into a hang on stand.. What should I do so it is sturdy? Im thinking use a few ratchet straps, but only have a few which we need for the quad and trailer. What else could I do? Im dying for season!!!!! Who else on here is in southern zone and doing bow this year in new york? Any tips? When should I start rattling?
Mike
Old 09-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by bigwhitetailbuck
Im thinking use a few ratchet straps, but only have a few which we need for the quad and trailer.
Don't mean to be forward, however, it seems to me safety isn't your primary concern if you're not willing to buy a few more to secure the stand. ?? The cost of a few straps is cheap insurance. I think straps will secure it from wobbling.

If you're going to rattle this early in the season, I'd recommend only lightly tickling them. All out battles are not common this early, but they do play spar around, so you want to imitate that.

Go get some straps! Please wear a safety harness too.

Good luck out there.

iSnipe
Old 09-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bigwhitetailbuck
I am going up to my property this weekend in New York.. I have a climber tree stand that we never use because It is very dangerous because it does not grab the tree very well... I was thinking about turning it into a hang on stand.. What should I do so it is sturdy? Im thinking use a few ratchet straps, but only have a few which we need for the quad and trailer. What else could I do? Im dying for season!!!!! Who else on here is in southern zone and doing bow this year in new york? Any tips? When should I start rattling?
Mike
Never modify a stand. Or you may very well be "dying for season" and we don't want that!

If that stand isn't doing what you want it to do or what it is supposed to do I recommend consulting the instructions or the manufacturer.

Be safe now, ya hear?
Old 09-27-2009, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

What make of climber is it? The more I know of the climber, the easier it will be for me to tell you how to best secure it. If I know the make and model, I can google an image of it. We have secured a couple and use climbing sticks to get to them. Ratchet straps would probably work and cost a fraction of what a hospital bill and a lifetime of potential injuries. I deal with stands on a daily basis and have literally hung thousands. Doing it correctly and safely is top priority.

Last edited by deerdust; 09-27-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:30 AM
Typical Buck

buy a new stand. by the time you buy steps and straps to hold that stand up you can go to walmart and get a ladder stand.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why mess around?? For less than 40 bucks, you can get a variety of different lock ons. Not worth taking the chance IMHO.

As far as rattling in the southern tier, and I know I'll get gang banged for this, I'd leave them home and opt for a grunt, bleat can, etc., unless you happen to be in a honeyhole full of buck. Yes, rattling may " work " on occasion, but around here-southerntier- it would be more happen-stance than not. If you insist on rattling, go with the bag, rather than antlers; much less cumbersome, IMHO.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

i have a few of the old heavy,cumbersome climbers ive converted into staionary hangons. a few ratchet straps and they are solid as a rock. some screw in steps and you are good to go. i live/hunt in the southern tier as well. i usually dont start rattling aggressively until the last week of october. As crokit said you need alot of bucks in your area to really have it be effective. Rattling can scare smaller bucks and more importantly does that are being followed by bucks away. Its a gamble but i love to rattle during the pre rut!!!
Old 09-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

For the people saying "Dont do that, it is dangerous" Why would you say this? A climber strapped to a tree is pretty much the same exact thing as a hangon...
As for screw in steps, I have a few left I am going to use, but I think I am just going to use what I have for ladders so I dont have to go out and buy more steps.