Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Finding the food.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default Finding the food.

Some of you may have seen my thread about my first hunting trip and know my result was mostly confusion. So, based on some replies and lot's of reading, I now have a plan. We have one more scouting day coming up Thursday, and I might get out a bit today depending on the weather. It seems in my area the deer really like persimmons, and crab apples. So armed with this data, and some pics, I think my next few trips will be more scouting for a good spot. (Of course I'll have my bow, never discount luck!) Based on my reading I'm looking for trails between bedding and food. Now my lack of knowledge kicks in. Where do ya'll find that deer seem to favor for bedding? Thick hardwoods, Swamp, Grassy areas, or all the above? The challenge is starting to get exciting! Hunting is certainly not like I see on TV!
Old 09-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Spike

Here’s a list of where to look for a bucks bedding area.

· Seclusion. You won’t find a trophy buck on the side of a freeway or on the edge of a hiking trail. His preferred spot is probably a half-mile or more away from roads or areas with human activity.

· A room with a view. Bucks like to be able to see danger approaching before danger sees them.

· Near dense cover. If they do see danger looming, thick brush provides a quick means of escape.

· At ridge lines. Or, more specifically, just below them. This position gives them a good view and allows them to take advantage of those ground contour air currents we’ve talked about a couple of times before.

· On the edge. Fields, swamps, tall grasses – a buck digs the accommodations near the edges of these types of terrain.

· Anywhere the pieces come together. Good line of sight, good line of smell, a well-hidden spot, and a quick escape route all make for prime buck bedding territory.

As you scout these areas, you’ll hone your instincts for them. Before long, you’ll be able to spot a good bedding site almost as well as the deer can!

Let me know how this turns out for you
Old 09-27-2009, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

All of the above. Where a deer beds in relation to it's food supply depends on if there is security cover. I've seen some of the biggest bucks bedding right out in the open in tall grass. Once hunted near Rochester, MN where there was high bowhunting pressure... all in the woods. I large buck was bedded in the open away from the woods. He as laying on a little rise, about 2ft. higher than anywhere else. He had a sight vantage point and security of the taller grass.

In the evenings hunt closer to the food supply, but maybe not necessarily right at it because when you come down from your tree or blind, it will be at dark, right when there's either deer in the area or coming to it. In the mornings hunt closer to the bedding area so you catch them headed back to bed for the day. If you find that you are seeing deer right at dark at the food supply, then your next step would be to move further into or closer to their bedding area to catch them with more hunting light.

In this early season, if you want does, pick the higher traveled trails to hunt on. If it's a mature buck you want, I'd look for the subtle lightly traveled trails in the thicker areas.

As for bedding areas, if the terrain is hilly or mountainous, then I'd start looking at the higher elevations first.

iSnipe
Old 09-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks! I'm starting to get a much better idea of what to look for.