Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Spooking deer

Old 09-26-2009, 11:13 AM
tf
Spike

Default Spooking deer

What is your opinions on risking spooking deer by shooting at other game. We have alot of coyotes and hogs and they are most active during the Fall along with the deer activity. We need to control their numbers but my hunting partners don't like us to shoot alot in fear of spooking off the deer. However, if we don't take those opportunities when they present themselves, we seldom, if ever, harvest any of the non-game species. I have on multiple occassions seen coyotes chasing deer and get multiple pictures on my game camera. Of course we all know what hogs do to a place. Shoot or not to shoot, that is the question! Thanks.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Spike

I wouldjudge the day and what you are doing at the time. I think it is a spur of the moment thing. I have said no shooting squirrels on stand then the next thing I have one dead pinned to a tree that I have to climb up and get at the end of the day. I think it is your own judgement. I also don't think an arrow or one shot does anything to scare deer. I have shot an arrow right over the back of a deer and it didn't move and sometimes they jump into space and take off. Ya just never know.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

use a smaller caliber for the other stuff. .22 hornet
Old 09-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

Talking

I wish I had problems like that, In MN we do not have wild hogs.
What are the seasons for deer and wild boar? If you have a short deer season and a long boar season than I would not shoot a boar during the deer season
Old 09-26-2009, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

In Florida there is no season on hogs,they can be hunted any time,same with coyotes.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think a few shots here and there will do any major travel changes to the deer over a shot or two. If that were the case, then they'd have no where to go come the Fall because there's so many other hunters out there shooting about everything that is legal. Sometimes I'll go in an area, after a fresh snow fall, just to see the tracks that blew out the backside to see what was in there. Most likely they'll be back the same evening. LOL!

Also, I've seen many deer at a gun range of all places. LOL! The deer there get acclimated to it over time. It's no big deal to them.

iSnipe
Old 09-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

sauer technically coyote are considered small game yet there is no season
and where i hunt theres actually a wolf problem :/
Old 09-26-2009, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

If you have open season of non game animals then start shooting them year round. Deer can't rationalize noise (nor smell for that matter). They just attribute the noise or smell as a stimulus. Human stink (especially if all you are in the woods is just a few months outta the year) followed by a near death experience means avoid the smell to stay alive. Same with a shot. But if they are constantly exposed to shots and human odor with no negative consequences (all year long) then they will not see the stimulus as having a negative consequnece.

I see this all the time on ground I hunt during turkey season. Nobody hunts it whatsoever (and it is public). It is just a complete pain in the arse to get to. I could never imaging getting a deer out of there even with a cart. It seems as though the game back there have never been exposed to humans. they walk by and notice you but don't respond. They don't attribute you presence to danger. Now go to the other public area I hunt (as does everyone else) and those deer are skittish as all get out because they have attributed human presence with bad things.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by teedub31
If you have open season of non game animals then start shooting them year round. Deer can't rationalize noise (nor smell for that matter). They just attribute the noise or smell as a stimulus. Human stink (especially if all you are in the woods is just a few months outta the year) followed by a near death experience means avoid the smell to stay alive. Same with a shot. But if they are constantly exposed to shots and human odor with no negative consequences (all year long) then they will not see the stimulus as having a negative consequnece.

I see this all the time on ground I hunt during turkey season. Nobody hunts it whatsoever (and it is public). It is just a complete pain in the arse to get to. I could never imaging getting a deer out of there even with a cart. It seems as though the game back there have never been exposed to humans. they walk by and notice you but don't respond. They don't attribute you presence to danger. Now go to the other public area I hunt (as does everyone else) and those deer are skittish as all get out because they have attributed human presence with bad things.

well put, now they sit next to the truck, while we are in our blinds lol