Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Capped Skull/Antlers STINK....Years later! >

Capped Skull/Antlers STINK....Years later!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Capped Skull/Antlers STINK....Years later!

Old 09-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default Capped Skull/Antlers STINK....Years later!

Another question for y'all. My dad always capped his antlers. Pretty much just scalp the deer from behind the antlers down towards the front. When he was done, they always hung on the wall on small plaques in the garage. My mom wouldn't let them in

Fast forward some years now. Im living out of state and have had some luck on my own getting a buck each of the last 3 years. The local processor will cap the bucks for you so i had him do it. The caps were kept in a freezer with the meat until i picked up. Well I somewhat noticed a smell with the first one a few years ago and actually left it outside thinking it was either defrosting or still had "junk" that i couldn't see that maybe a critter or the weather could take care of. Eventually it came back in the house and it seemed whenever it'd get somewhat warm, I could smell something. Repeat this process two more times. Now these 3 skull caps just really reak everytime it gets warm. The combo of all 3 make it strong. Its my workout room so im usually the only one who smells it but Im getting married soon and the wife to be will not be tolerating this! Am i doomed to follow in my dads footsteps and have the plaques down in the basement? I never noticed any smells from his at all and Im not sure if it was just because it was in the garage or what. Any answers, solutions, ideas on how to cure and prevent this in my future? I finally got good hunting grounds where i can be successful and now can't show them off. I will also consider just building the fiance her own quarters if need be
Old 09-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

idk i have 4 skull caps and haven't had a problem with bad smells after the first month sorry im no help
Old 09-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

I always set my caps out in garage upside down with inside filled with salt for a month or so...never had a problem
Old 09-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never noticed a smell in mine...
Old 09-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up Stinky Antlers

First make sure that all of the tissue is gone and there in nothing but bone. Antlers are made of bone and they grow extremely fast. I put mine skull in a pot and fill it with water so the skull but not the antlers are submerged and bring it to a boil, boil for 5-10 minutes, this works very well for me but the important part is the hair and all other tissue must be romoved.
Best of luck.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Spike

I just put mine outside for a month or two and then bring them in. I don't even take the fur off. I have never had an issue with smell.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Spike

I just put mine outside for a month or two. I don't even take the fur off the scalp and I have never had an issue with odor.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Try hanging them above a fire,then cover the fire with cedar bows
or pine.What your trying to do by this is to heavily SMOKE them with the ceder scent or pine.remember to hang them high as not to burn them.This is an old way to cure them( it'll help keep the bugs from eating away at the "hair on" scalp as well as keeping them from stinking.)
Old 09-25-2009, 02:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I put mine skull in a pot and fill it with water so the skull but not the antlers are submerged and bring it to a boil, boil for 5-10 minutes, this works very well for me but the important part is the hair and all other tissue must be removed.
Yep, this is what I do. I have over 30 sets of antlers and no odor.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Can't give you any more advice than Sauer06 did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.