Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Need Tips For Staying On Stand ALL Day! >

Need Tips For Staying On Stand ALL Day!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need Tips For Staying On Stand ALL Day!

Old 09-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb Need Tips For Staying On Stand ALL Day!

Ok, guys, here's one I could use some help on and hopefully others... staying on stand ALL day!

During the rut I can be in the woods all day, but not necessarily in one stand daylight to dark. I may have my morning hunt, do a drive during midday or walk around, then do an evening hunt. It's been some time since I sat at least 6 hours on 1 stand.

I like to do some brainstorming here with you guys to see what sort of good tips we can get for staying on stand all day.

I'll start with just a few:

- Actually seeing a large buck or trail camera pics help with motivation

- Have a comfortable seat. I use the Fatboy gel cushion

- Have warm enough clothes

What's your tip(s) for staying on stand all day?

iSnipe
Old 09-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

A book of sodoku always helps me. Im not a big fan of crosswords anymore. Warm socks always help too. If Im in a box blind, I like to have an office chair in there. always seems to help on the back. Radios if your hunting with partners, then in the slow times you can talk for a bit as well.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Spike

If you're staying put all day in a stand ....it better be very comfortable, you must be in the shade if it's hot, also pack lunch and drinks. I also enjoy a full size 7 to 10x binoculars , its good to be constantly watching the edges all the while familiarizing your self with the surroundings.

Bottom line its about extreme comfort and not loosing focus .
I am guilty of taking a midday nap or two ....god only knows just how many deer have walked under my stand.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Spike

i think im going to steal my wifes I phone. you can do anything on it surf the web, play about any game you can think of, and she downloaded a program on it that turned the phone into a gps unit.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

just hope you get cell service deep in the woods lol, or youll find yourself walking around the woods looking for good cell reception instead of a place where deer are haha
Old 09-23-2009, 11:41 PM
Spike

Hunting with visions of a nice buck in the picture with you should keep you busy enough. Y'all know what happens when you take your eye off the ball! Leave the toys at home and you up the odds!
Old 09-24-2009, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Biggest factor in being able to be in a stand all day, IMHO, is confidence in the spot that it will produce the intended outcome. Next, for me, is plenty of food.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:26 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by crokit
Biggest factor in being able to be in a stand all day, IMHO, is confidence in the spot that it will produce the intended outcome. Next, for me, is plenty of food.
I agree with this, you have to have confidence in the spot you are hunting. But also, you have to have the mental mindset that you are going to put in the time. I hunt all day long and have only cut my hunts short for a day because of weather. Everyone has said alot of good things and alot that need to be taken seriously, like staying warm and packing a lunch. Remember, you cant kill a deer if your not in the woods. I utilize all the hunting time I have to be on stand.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:26 AM
Fork Horn

definitly guna have 2 way radios with my partner on the other side of the farm. and usually play sudoku on my phone for hours. food, drink, and definitly some warm clothes. And the naps i take in my ground blinds are unbeatable! lol im willing to let the deer pass when im getting in some outdoor Z's.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:05 AM
Fork Horn

Ive got to have enough munchies to help me get through the day. This is my first season with my Iphone so I'm sure I'll be able to entertain myself with that for a while. Like crokit said, I've got to be confident that I'm going to have a chance at what I'm looking for in that spot, and yes I'm just as guilty as anyone else of taking a midday nap. I always wear my harness but if I feel THAT tired, I'll actually climb down and sit at the base of the tree to ZZZZ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.