Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Need Tips For Staying On Stand ALL Day! >

Need Tips For Staying On Stand ALL Day!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need Tips For Staying On Stand ALL Day!

Old 09-24-2009, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

I switch from my ultralightweight climbing stand that I use in the early season to a treelounge...at 45 lbs it is a load to carry, but I can stay 30 feet in the air all day with a few bottles of water, a baggie of trailmix, a paperback book, and an extra safety belt for when I intend on taking a nap...

I do this during all of the gun seasons...muzzleloader, modern rifle, etc.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Obviously being comfortable, having enough food, and having confidence in your stand location are all very important. But to help with the actual time element of sitting all day I mentally break it up into 3 four hour hunts. Morning, afternoon and evening. For instance, at 10:00AM I'll say to myself "only one more hour until the afternoon hunt begins" ect. Psychologically, it sort of tricks you into thinking it isn't as much time as it actually is. Seeing deer seems to be the single best element to keep you sitting all day though.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

I have done my share of in the same stand from sunrise to sunset. I always keep caffeine pills in my backpack, one 200mg pill is like drinking 2 large cups of coffee. It will definitely keep you in the "zone" all day long.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Spike

These are what have helped me the most.
1. a comfortable stand (my legs go to sleep in a lot of stands, but i have one now that i can sit comfortable in for long periods of time, without moving)
2. knowledge that you are in a heavily traveled trail or funnel
3. food and water
4. and don't forget something to goof off with...i use a blackberry
Old 09-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Spike

I always have a hard time staying on stand all day long unless I see some activity. I have used the internet on my phone to waste some time, but this past spring turkey season I missed a golden opportunity at a nice Tom because I had my phone in my hand instead of my shotgun. I seem to always take a little break by either coming down the tree and stretching a little bit or walking back to the truck or 4 wheeler to get some blood flowing again. Although I have been known from time to time to take a nap while up the tree. I tend to play a little mental game while I am sitting there. I have a habit of counting the squirrels or the birds, or something like that. It seems to keep me on stand longer if I keep my mind sharp rather than thinking about napping or other things I feel as though I am neglecting such as work around the house!
Old 09-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

my list:
1. comfort
2. stay warm
3. have something to eat
4. mental aspect. I think staying all day is mostly a mental game. The one thing that I do is decided BEFORE I go out that I'm going to sit all day. If I decided to see how it goes in most cases I won't stay all day. It can get tough because I hunt areas with very few deer and I have sat all day many times without seeing a single deer. It's tough to sit all day and not see a deer!
5. All day sits are tough. It's not for everyone. There is no way I would do it every day. Hunting is supposed to be fun and I mix it up a lot more now days.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last year was my first year sitting in stands. Number one lesson was comfort, specifically warmth. I found that to sit still in my stand I needed clothes twice as warm as what is needed to get to my stand. The most important thing was warm feet. When walking, any comfortable boot with a decent sock was fine. As soon as I stopped moving/pumping blood through my system, the chills would come on unless I was prepared. Good insulation is a must and extra packets of those chemical sock warmers are a Godsend. Layered clothing, assuming that you have to walk a bit to your stand - otherwise I am sweating bullets by the time I get there and then I am cold and wet. Also, one of those thermal heat cushions for my butt made sitting much more bearable.

I know it lowers your chances, but I usually take something to read as well.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

Big thermos of Coffee, bladder full of water, snacks, and comfy climbing stand. Surf the web with my envy2, and read a magazine or two.
Archery hunting is usually 40-60lbs lashed on my back....baselayer and pants on the way in, and then layered up once I'm up to 20ft and stinking!!!!!
Old 09-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't already use one try a good, fairly large, ground blind

* You can move and stretch all you need to
* You can play games or read magazines without fear of the deer seeing movement
* You can put clothes on or take them off as needed without getting busted
* Make sure your seat bottom is comfortable

If it is a Saturday i take a small radio with 1 ear piece and listen to college football.

I rarely come out of the woods during the day. I don't get too many days to hunt each year so I have to make each one count. In way before sunrise and don't leave until i legally cant shoot anymore
In my ground blind i can always stay warm, comfy, fed and can move and stretch all i want
Old 09-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Typical Buck

I very rarely can stand to hunt all day,my back just won't let my unless i take pain pills and i won't do drugs while hunting. i will do once in a while during the but it better be a good stand with lots of deer movement to keep me interested.

one thing i will do is during or near the rut ,i hunt everyday. i may go in early on monday ,stay til lunch. on tuesday i may wait til 10 and stay til dark. i find changeing up hunting times will usually get mr big in the crosshairs sooner or later. the main thing is having the time to hunt often ,thats why i take the whole month of november off every year.

Last edited by srwshooter; 09-24-2009 at 10:16 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.