Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Do You Rinse/Wash Out The Gut Cavity? >

Do You Rinse/Wash Out The Gut Cavity?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do You Rinse/Wash Out The Gut Cavity?

Old 09-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

you can use all the excess blood in the cavity to wash around a little bit.
Blood begins breaking down after death and will have an off taste. I wouldn't use old blood from a dead animal to wash out my venison.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by davidmil
Well you all are doing exactly the WRONG thing. Moisture speeds up and helps the growth of bacteria and spread of germs. The ony time you should think about rinsing is with a gut shot deer. Look at it.... what do you eat from inside the cavitiy other than the inside loins. You are NOTsuppose to wash the deer out unless you have a cooler to put it in immediately... and then it's best NOT to. Wipe it out of excessive blood if you must... but never wash. As far as the hair, if you use a knife correctly, ie. cutting the skin from the meat side up rather than slicing throught the hide you won't have hair. Heat, dirt and moisture aid in the growth of bacteria and germs.

Well said! My butcher told me the same thing years ago!
Old 09-24-2009, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

The last time I had a deer butchered, the guy doing the cutting said that the dried blood is what gives venison its gamey flavor and it should be cleaned out. This year I shot a small buck and its cavity was filled with blood, so I rinsed it out when I got home. I left it in my truck over night (temps in mid 40s) then hung it in a walk in fridge. Its still in the fridge, I'll cut it up this weekend. We'll see how it turns out, but I'm betting its gonna be tasty!
Old 09-28-2009, 01:47 PM
Spike

I have been washing Deer out with water all my life [38 years of deer hunting] and read a few articles on getting the best flavor from your venison and they all said the same thing "Do not wash the cavity with water" and if you feel you have to wash it dry the cavity with a towel as soon as possible. I will no longer wash the cavity of a deer I shoot unless I gut shoot it. I am not to old to learn something better. Just because our dad's and grand dad's did it a certain way does not meen it's the best way. Promoting bacteria can't be good for anything.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

Weird then that my butcher rinses out every single deer he hangs in his shop.....
Old 09-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

sounds as though everyone has an opinion on this, i have done it all the ways above, never had a problem.....i usually dont rinse the cavity because the whole gut sack usually comes out as 1 big peice, as i take specific steps as not to bust it...i would definatly recomend splittin the chestplate down to the neck to get the esophogus out in 1 peice. on the other hand, i have shot a deer a lil too far back befor where there were intestines comin out discharge side of gunshot..and i do beleive we washed that suker out and threw it in a cooler with ice, (usually not ever cold enough here to leave a deer hangin outside overnite), and we leave the drain plug open so water may exit the cooler...that bein said, i dunno why i would dry it off...

i aint an expert on this part but
doesnt bacteria have to have a certain tempature to sustain life, and dont we freeze the meat to kill some bacterias and when we cook it aint that supposed to kill the rest of the bacteria that didnt die from bein frozen?
Old 09-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

well we hang them from the back legs and the only thing we use the chest cavity for is to keep the guts in. we split them to the sternum cut the rear innards loose and let them fall into the chest and remove the tenderloins, backstraps and hams. the shoulder is usually blown out so it makes it convenient to do this way, as for the rinsing out, that seems a bit unnecessary as you're going to rinse the meat again anyway.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Real funny guys, so you dont rinse your deer but then put it on ice.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Spike

As long as I have access to clean water I rinse it out, as it usually comes out of my deep well it is also cold and I think this helps cool it down quicker. Not sure I buy into the thought of rinsing spreads bacteria and is unhealthy to do so. Everything we have learned in the last 100 years related to germs / bacteria and infection control clearly points to washing as a good think for preventing contamination.

But as always, do as you see fit as will I.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Spike

Having worked in a meat locker i can tell you that washing will not cause the bacteria to spread any faster than normal.all animals at the locker are washed after being killed and readied to head to the freezer.jmo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.