Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Innovative ideas to keep deer cold during transport? >

Innovative ideas to keep deer cold during transport?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Innovative ideas to keep deer cold during transport?

Old 09-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dress out the deer and put some ice in the cavity. Get it to the butcher asap and you will be fine. I was with my buddy and he shot a nice doe wiith his bow this past weekend in NH. We usually butcher all our deer but because of the mild weather, he packed it with a few bags of ice and took it to the processor, who said everything was fine. The temp was in the high 70's.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good stuff, Cat Soup!!
Old 09-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 13pointjomc
When does your deer season open?Here in alabama,oct.15 is openin day of bow season.
It's been open since August 15th.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Typical Buck

I have an old freezer that doesn't work. We skin em while they are still warm, quarter em, put em in trash bags, and cover em with ice. Works great.

Spudrow from Mo
Old 09-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by stancel
I just keep an ice chest with a couple 20lb bags of ice in it in my truck or boat. I field dress the animal, put the bags in the cavity. Within 3-4 hours I have it home, dressed and in the freezer. Never had a problem.
This works in the south. In fact it is pretty much a necessity to have a bag of ice or be close enough to a store so when you leave you can immediately stop and get a couple bags.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

i donno, where we process our deer its about an hr away and weve never had a problem of the meat going bad.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by allmightyhunter13
i donno, where we process our deer its about an hr away and weve never had a problem of the meat going bad.
Yeah, I'm probably over-thinking it. But I just want to be safe so I'm not sorry later.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by heinz57
don't have a problem with hot weather up here [deer season] but moose starts around the 9 oct and sometimes during the day it gets warm [60 f ] it's the flies that scare me the most they will lay eggs and spoil the meat ..we cut up the moose and cover it with cheese cloth ,hang it on the meat pole ,let the wind form a good crust on the meat . we stay up at the camp for a week with no problem ...bull i shot 3 yrs ago

pack a case of black pepper, it will also prevent the flies...
Old 09-22-2009, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by spudrow
I have an old freezer that doesn't work. We skin em while they are still warm, quarter em, put em in trash bags, and cover em with ice. Works great.

Spudrow from Mo

only suggested change to this would be plastic bags are not the best for meat...we pack elk out of the backcountry, and you have to let them breath...we are rarely ever back to the truck within 4-6 hours...and then usually have 1-3 hours to town...

Generally, the cheese cloth is ok, but the best thing is heavyweight canvas meat bags...if the meat is going to sit out over night, I would highly recommend peppering it, yes black pepper...stops the flies and will also stop some other critters...

but if you get the animal quartered and boned out (primary concern is hind quarters) let them cool down, you should not have an issue at all, as heinz57 has said...

We get lots of elk each year, and have never had an issue if we quarter, and or bone them, and get them in bags...(NOT plastic, as it will actually promote the enzymes etc. to rot the meat)
Old 09-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

The processor can still process the deer if you clean it and throw it in the cooler and ice it down...We don't even gut them...

Filet out the backstraps, cut off the front legs and remove the shoulders with a knife...Make a small incision at the short ribs, slide your knife up and down the tenderlion, cut both ends and remove...

If you want the neck, cut off, then cut through the ribs and throw them in the cooler...Take a larger knife and cut around the ball joint of the ham, pop them off, cut off the back legs and you are done...

Once you do few you can cut up a deer in 25-30 minutes...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.