Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

lets clear things up

Old 09-24-2009, 03:56 AM
Typical Buck

Are you trying to take all the fun out of getting ready for deer season ?
Old 09-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

I agree and disagree with the original statement... I do believe that too much of a good thing can be bad.
However, I am greatful for some of the advancements made in the way we hunt today.
For instance, I like having a compound bow over a recurve..I would not have taken as many deer as I have over the years, had I not used a compound bow.
But in the same respect.... the bows get better and faster every year. Where does it end?
Scents is another area...where had i not used it, I would not have taken deer I did on certain occations.
And lets not forget the grunt calls who haven't been around all that long..
I guess you have to decide for yourself what works and what are gimmicks... And the only way you find out is to try it for yourselves...
Old 09-27-2009, 03:09 AM
Typical Buck

Much like the "would you kill a fawn" threads, what you buy and hunt with is your own personal preference. I really don't care how many deer you have killed smelling of beer and cigars or that you were wearing your wife/gfs teddy while doing it.

It has been said that more deer have been killed with a 22lr then any other caliber (true or urban ledgend I don't know). are you advocating that anything more then a single shot 22lr is a waste of time and money (this is also good fodder for the antigunners when we have one of our own advocating the that huneters need no more then this or that.

I noticed in one of your pics you had a nice modern compound bow. Well Native American ancestory will tell you how many deer they killed with a twig strung with tendons flinging branches tipped with flint. You are not even living up to you own statement when you equip yourself with that archery equipment that traditionalist find appaling.

This was kind of a dumb thread.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:43 AM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

I found this thread pretty interesting. I'm not an expert hunter by any means. My husband kind of is and we always hunt together. We stalk, which I think they call still-hunting. I can't figure that out but...

But I have read as much as I can about deer and their abilities and habits. Deer aren't really color blind, but they are color deficient. They can see blue which suggests that blue denim might not be the best choice on a hunt. Their eyes are on the side which means that they have a much wider field of vision than we do. Their sensory system is especially sensitive to movement. If we stand still, our presence doesn't really register.

They see "Hunter Orange" as a brilliant gray, but pink doesn't stand out for a deer the way it does for us. For safety, pink would be a better choice than "Hunter Orange" but there are probably only a very few guys who would want to wear pink. A pink camo pattern would likely work as well as natural colors since it all looks gray to a deer. Except for blue. Camo is kind of fun, makes you look like a bush. But bushes don't move around much.

When we bowhunt, I tie up my hair with a pink bandana, but being a girl, I'm comfortable with it.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:54 AM
Spike

Default If I may add an unrequested opinion

Having taken over 100 deer in my life, I feel that I have learned a thing or two about deer hunting. I have found that the most important pieces of equipment you can use are your feet, and your eyes.
You have about 11 months to kill between deer seasons. If you spend that time doing nothing more than gathering up a whole new bunch of equipment, there is a good chance that you will be a very well equipped failure when you actually get out in the deer woods.
I am truly blessed, in that I have constant access to my hunting area, and I make sure that I use those 11 months profitably. I walk the property on almost a daily basis. It's good exercise. While keeping in shape, I keep my eyes open, and I learn on a day to day basis what the critters are doing.
When deer season does open, I already know the locations of their bedding areas, feeding areas, and where they water.
Then, it simply becomes a matter of listening to Dad's advise.
I am in the fields 1 1/2 hours before sunrise, with my butt solidly planted on the ground, and I stay there till sundown. It works for me. In the last 15 years or so, my tags have all been filled by the third day of the season. I have yet to come home empty handed on opening day, usually within 2 hours of legal shooting time.
So, although I have no problem with folks using any and all hunting aids (as long as they are legal) I have never found the need to do anything more than I already do.
At my age, I no longer enjoy sitting out there in freezing weather for hours at a time. Using my Dad's system, I hardly ever have to. It works for me, and I am darn sure that it will work for anyone who can take the time to give it a try.
Urban dwellers don't have the time to do this. So, if they feel that they can improve their chances with top of the line gear, then they should go for it. Whatever works, works.
So, without trying to sound like an expert on anything, Lord knows I'm not, and with tougue in cheek, let me use another of Dad's favorite expressions. "Don't bother me with facts, my mind is made up."
Good luck this, and every season to all.

Last edited by Yankee Doodle; 09-27-2009 at 05:57 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How in the world. . .

Are the country club hunters going to survive, if they have to go back and become Daniel Boone.

Why the country club boys keeps the outdoor industry alive and well. And they buy those new gadgets; some of which us oldtimers find useful from time to time.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:10 AM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

Some of that stuff is really useful. The way we hunt, we LOVE the Whisker Biscuit.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:12 AM
Spike

Default Agree mostly

I agree to some extent with the original statement. I bow hunt in Ohio and and for the most part do not gun hunt in Ohio. Too many amatuers in Ohio the week of gun season for me. So I will not comment on the gun portion. I will comment on scent control. I have limited options in and out of the woods due to being surounded by private property, so wind direction or not I have to enter 1 of 2 only ways. I have to practice scent control, maybe not to the degree manufacturers would lead you to think. In the north we almost always have wind, and it almost always changes directions through out the day. I hunt 30 to 40 yards in the woods next to cornfield and do not have to buy expensive scents. I think scent control, basic camo, be quiet entering the woods, and a little pre-season scouting and most hunters should do ok.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:23 AM
Spike

There is some good in modern technology and some bad. I saw where someone was down playing feeders and food plots. Let me start y saying this "The good lord blessed us with a way of feeding our family and the poor so give back". Native Americans had it right when they only took what they needed and lived in perfect harmony with the animals that fed them. In todays society its more of a take and not give back type mentality.

I plant food plots and I have deer feeders. Why? Well when I first started hunting on my grandfathers place the deer population had great numbers, their weights were 200lbs field dressed, and they were healthy. Then the farmers in area started to lose their farms so all peanut, soybean, corn, and milo farmers dried up. When that happened so did the deer population, the average weights were way down, and the health of the deer was very poor. In 2001 I started to manage my herd with mineral bricks, corn feeders, food plots, and so on from a friend that was testing stuff he had made to see if it would work. In 5 years time the weights went up, their health greatly improved, and we were seeing more an more bucks of all ages. In 2006 we start to feed protein feed with our corn in areas that no one was allowed to hunt and the growth, health, reproduction of our deer has been amazing. Mike has helped me out greatly and he has opened a store now to help others.

So in short we can mix modern technology with old traditions to find an even balance to help with the overall health and well being of our wildlife. We need to so our childrens childern will have something to enjoy.