Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

lets clear things up

Old 09-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I'm going to continue to be as scent free as possible. Always have and always will. I truly believe it has allowed me to take many deer I normally wouldn't have. I will continue to wash my clothes in scent free wash, shower with scent free soap, brush my teeth with baking soda, and rub weeds, pine needles, etc.. on my clothes. Money well spent IMO, and that's all that matters. I can't tell you how many deer have walked over my trail to the stand without scenting me. I can't tell you how many deer I have had downwind of me and not have any idea I was there. I know you can hunt the wind, but I don't want to rely on just hunting the wind.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

AGREED!! Dad has hunted with the same scope on his 25.06 since he bought the gun thirty years ago, and it was decent scope way under $100. Ive seen him time and time again head and neck shoot deer out at 400 yards. Also sat all day in the the tree stand saturday with the wind in my blowing in one direction and dressed in my $30 leafy suit from a discount store, had many deer come in. Ive sat in the middle of the woods in blaze orange and had deer walk right past. IF ANYONE OUT THERE CAN ANSWER THIS THEN PLEASE DO, HERE IT IS... You wash all ur clothes and bath in scent killer and then walk in the woods or do your hunting by walking around, what good is that scent killer after you have been sweating all day, that only kills the
Old 09-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

.....sorry hit enter... bacteria on u at that time u bathed in it what good is the scent killer???????????? Food for thought
Old 09-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 09-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Typical Buck

Yes I agree we don't need all this high priced and high tech stuff. I have aquired medium priced guns, bows, clothing, etc and have killed plenty of game. As a matter of fact my Traditions Panther 50 caliber sidelock cost me a whopping 50 bucks at Sports Authority in the clearence section. I also smoke cigars while hunting. I took 4 deer last year at no more than 12 yards. 2 with my bow and 2 with my M/L plus a couple of hogs. All the while I was on the ground.

Spudrow from MO
Old 09-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=tmontgo1;3448817 Also sat all day in the the tree stand saturday with the wind in my blowing in one direction and dressed in my $30 leafy suit from a discount store, had many deer come in. Ive sat in the middle of the woods in blaze orange and had deer walk right past. IF ANYONE OUT THERE CAN ANSWER THIS THEN PLEASE DO, HERE IT IS... You wash all ur clothes and bath in scent killer and then walk in the woods or do your hunting by walking around, what good is that scent killer after you have been sweating all day, that only kills the[/quote]

That's easy to answer. You were obviously upwind from the deer you were seeing. If the wind would have shifted, you would have been busted because you didn't practice proper scent control. As for deer walking by you while wearing orange, so what. Aren't deer color blind? I've had deer walk by me wearing orange too. All of us wear orange when gun hunting. If your not, then your hunting illegally. I live and hunt in Louisiana. You don't know what sweating is until you have hunted down here, even into November. That's easy to get around. When it's hot, after the morning hunt I will take another shower before the afternoon hunt. I will also put new clothes on and rub weeds and pine needles on my clothes again. Problem solved.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by superstrutter
That's easy to answer. You were obviously upwind from the deer you were seeing. If the wind would have shifted, you would have been busted because you didn't practice proper scent control. As for deer walking by you while wearing orange, so what. Aren't deer color blind? I've had deer walk by me wearing orange too. All of us wear orange when gun hunting. If your not, then your hunting illegally. I live and hunt in Louisiana. You don't know what sweating is until you have hunted down here, even into November. That's easy to get around. When it's hot, after the morning hunt I will take another shower before the afternoon hunt. I will also put new clothes on and rub weeds and pine needles on my clothes again. Problem solved.
hey zrex i found one of the people that own hundreds of dollars of scent control merchandice like the thread was talking about lol
Old 09-21-2009, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

You goin crying to your daddy now. Listen Einstein, it doesn't take a millionaire to afford some wash, soap, and deodorant. I spend about $75-$80 on this stuff that will last me a whole season. BTW, the weeds and pine needles are free, so that shouldn't be a problem for you. I think I've killed and passed up enough deer in my many years of hunting to know that scent control works.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
Purely asthetics (sp)

hahaha. But DD that is a Fred Bear bow that never made it to TV LOL
hey after 15 years of a bear whitetail hunter it was time to upgrade, I mean come on, a 44" bow or a new bear at 32" long with about 75fps faster. I am about function and I definately needed one that functioned better. But hey I am still shooting that bow pictured after 5 years. I am guilty of wanting a new one but I always say fer what. This one still whacks em, still plenty fast and accurate.

high end optics are like a corvette, sure will get you to point B faster and in style, but so will a pinto and rather dependably too.

I can not see the point ( going lalalalalala) about now.
30+ years of tascos, bushnells, red field wide fields (member that one ) and never have I had to say, Man I wish I had a better scope. Hell we dont even need a scope, use the 'ol iron sights, any scope is 10 times better than iron sights, but a high end scope is a 1/10 better than a low end one. For most hunters.
Not talking about the long range guys.
ZR Im just funnin with you ole buddy ...your a good sport

dd
Old 09-22-2009, 04:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by srwshooter
i have to agree that in most cases a 200.00 scope is better then a 79.00 scope,but not always. i had a friend buy 2 loopy's both 3x9x40 . he brought them to my range and sighted his guns in at 50yds,then he moved to 100yds and on 9 power he couldn't see a bullet hole in white metal. they didn't have enough power to see it. my cheap simmons and bushnells have enough power on 7 power.

i'd buy a 200.00 nikon over a loopy anyday. they've always been over rated and over priced.

you can kill deer or anything else without using any scent control,but kill the biggest mature buck on your hunting property and do it year after year . then you will need good scent control because your going to have to let lots of bucks walk in most cases just to see mister big.

i killed a 9pt last year that the warden said was 6 1/2 yrs old,he may have been i could care less how old he was. but my point is i had 3 different smaller bucks run doe's that came from 3 different directions within 1 hour before the 9pt showed up.
if i would gotten busted by any of the 3 i may have never seen him.
clothes washed in baking soda,cedar added to them and spraying down with odorlock is what i do,and do it often.
All rifles will out shoot most scopes ...you get what you pay for in optics IMHO ...I would much rather invest in a quality scope then a high $$ rifle ...

dd

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.