Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

lets clear things up

Old 09-22-2009, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hatracked
z rex...... your back peddling........

Some things are worth buying into others not. You picked the wrong topic when you spoke about optics. Said it from the beginning and I will back it till the end. Buy junk optics and expect junk performance.

BTW qualify yourself with all the pics you care to, some of us have seen hundeds if not thousands of trophy animals die and been to one end of the world and the other killin ****. One place I wont skimp is in glass. Got it?

My guess, you got an axe to grind and you have now just barked up the wrong tree doing it.

I will be the first to admit when something is junk. I have a problem with cheap binoculars, I cant or they cant seem to focus with both eyes, I get double vision and it makes me dizzy. So I finally got some Nikons for a 100 bucks that are freaking awsome. Are those still junk in your book because I didnt lay down 500 bucks ? 1000 bucks ?
You seem to think you have to pay a lot for something to get it to work.
Theres are neccesaties when hunting I dont deny that. good warm clothes good warm boots etc etc if your getting lost in the woods get a GPS or compass at the least. These things are neccesities.
But some guys, ( I know a few ) seem to buy every freaking thing they see on TV. They talk about camo patterns like girls do about shoes. A new broadhead will come out and they run to get it. A new bow comes out and they are slobbering.
Theres nothing wrong with wanting nice equipment I like having nice equipment.
But to say you have to spend the same amount of money on optics as you did on the gun is absolute bologna.
Theres good scopes for good prices, I am not talking bottom of the barrell type stuff .
You know the only scopes I ever heard of having problems with was 2 seperate leopolds.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:59 AM
Spike

I tend to side with Superstrutter on the simple scent control. Firstly because he is from my neck of the woods, and secondly because nobody will ever convince me that leaving the smell of fabric softener all over the trail you use wont make a deer (or hog) turn and walk the other way. Who here thinks that a deer will smell a perfumed detergent on a trail and follow it out of curiosity, or just be indifferent about it? Sorry, but it isn't going to happen. They will calmly and quietly turn and walk another direction and you will never know they were there.

Scent free detergent like you buy for infants or people who are alergic to perfumes cost exactly the same as regular detergent. Scent free soap and deodorant is the same. Cyprus needles and a piece of cedar are free. So where is the big expense??

And in southeast Louisiana you have wind to work with about half the time. The other half you are sitting there with no air movement at all and it feels like a oven.

Last edited by stancel; 09-22-2009 at 05:02 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:35 AM
Spike

I believe that most hunters can't shoot as well as there weapon's are capable of doing.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess my Dad told me the secret of getting my deer when I was about 12 years old. He said," sit down, don't move, shut up, and be patient". He also told me "hunt only where the deer are.
"

Amen. Whatever benefits a great scope, scent killer, camo, etc. will bring you, following this advice will bring a lot more.

So far as I can tell, any time I've been busted, it was because I got caught fidgeting/moving, making noise, or because of wind. Scent lock MIGHT have helped on the latter count, but I still made a fundamental mistake.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
I will be the first to admit when something is junk. I have a problem with cheap binoculars, I cant or they cant seem to focus with both eyes, I get double vision and it makes me dizzy. So I finally got some Nikons for a 100 bucks that are freaking awsome. Are those still junk in your book because I didnt lay down 500 bucks ? 1000 bucks ?
You seem to think you have to pay a lot for something to get it to work.
Theres are neccesaties when hunting I dont deny that. good warm clothes good warm boots etc etc if your getting lost in the woods get a GPS or compass at the least. These things are neccesities.
But some guys, ( I know a few ) seem to buy every freaking thing they see on TV. They talk about camo patterns like girls do about shoes. A new broadhead will come out and they run to get it. A new bow comes out and they are slobbering.
Theres nothing wrong with wanting nice equipment I like having nice equipment.
But to say you have to spend the same amount of money on optics as you did on the gun is absolute bologna.
Theres good scopes for good prices, I am not talking bottom of the barrell type stuff .
You know the only scopes I ever heard of having problems with was 2 seperate leopolds.
I am not saying you have to spend 2000 or 600. Nikon makes plenty of fine product that I also use from 200-500. What I am saying is in general optics are one of the pieces of gear where money can and does make a difference in quality and field function.Sure there is a peak where this difference is minimized and your blowing big big dollars for minimal improvement. But the difference between a 79 dollar tasco and even a 300 dollar nikon is light years.

Bet those two Leupolds were returned repaired at no charge no questions asked as well.

I do understand your point here about the gadgeteers of hunting today. Heck bro I hunt with a bent stick with wood arrows. I am all about getting back to simple in the field and what really counts. I just simply dont agree with you on optics.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Spike

For what it's worth, I spend mid range on about everything. I have never found that spending an excessive amount of money on any item has guaranteed me anymore success than spending a mediocre amount. I do not hunt with an expensive gun. I do not have a top of the line bow. I do not have expensive scent control clothing. I have friends that spend extra money on all of this and have had no better luck than me. My father-in-law uses an old gun, brown coveralls or blue jeans, no scent control whatsoever and he is just as lucky as my other friends with their expensive guns and clothing with scent control. I personally to try to be scent free, but I hunt with one of my best friends and he practically chain smokes while on stand and he seems to have better luck hunting than I do. I don't think that I will take up his habit to have his luck, but I don't think that we need all of the high priced gadgets to make us successful. If I spend any extra money on any one thing, it is to make me more comfortable while on stand. I would much rather be sitting comfortably up a tree with my $300 browning bow than sitting in an uncomfortable stand with a $800 Mathews!
Old 09-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

Boy I don't know about that, to say that you could shoot better with 30.30 with open sights and shoot better than 50 percent of others hunters shooting bolt action guns with good scopes is saying alot, not raising the BS flag her because I don't know you and have never seen you shoot but at my rifle rage and the hunters I know that shoot the 30.30 that is doing very well.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Yankee Doodle
I guess my Dad told me the secret of getting my deer when I was about 12 years old. He said," sit down, don't move, shut up, and be patient". He also told me "hunt only where the deer are."

Hey Yankee, are you my brother!!
I think we had the same dad!!
Old 09-22-2009, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

hey themiz54 your Dolphins lost to my colts haha lol sorry man couldn't pass it up
Old 09-22-2009, 04:10 PM
Spike

your statements are the equivalent of saying the very first p.c. is just as good as todays top of the line p.c. granted you dont need the newest or best of everything to kill a deer but i think technology certainly increases your odds, espeially when bowhunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.