HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   lets clear things up (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/304222-lets-clear-things-up.html)

jd3006 09-19-2009 03:44 PM

I thought about that but it would take so long to type with one finger and folks wouldn't believe me anyway.

SWThomas 09-19-2009 03:46 PM

Well put. :rock:

Yankee Doodle 09-19-2009 03:53 PM

Without going into any details as to my age, I have been hunting deer for over 55 years. I can count on the fingers of one hand the times I have been skunked for the season.
I still wear a set of Woolrich pants and coat, rubber barn boots, brown cotton jersey gloves, all topped of with my favorite red plaid "Elmer Fudd" cap. Never been in a tree stand, never used any scent cover, no exotic calibers, no exotic rifles, no fancy anything.
I guess my Dad told me the secret of getting my deer when I was about 12 years old. He said," sit down, don't move, shut up, and be patient". He also told me "hunt only where the deer are."
So, I fully agree with all your points, and have had over 55 years of experience to form my opinion.
WELL SAID.

DOE MASTER 09-19-2009 03:54 PM

this post is the truth you simply said everything alot of folks are thinkin amen

superstrutter 09-19-2009 03:56 PM

I agree and disagree. Corn IS all you need if you are going to hunt a feeder. Hunting a food plot IS no different than hunting a feeder, although many here think it is. I agree that you don't have to use all the supplements and lures out there. Most are gimmicks. I have to disagree with trying to be scent free. "Hunt the wind" is the dumbest statement ever made. Most of the time the wind is variable. I want to be as scent free as possible just in case the wind decides to change direction. Guess what, it's worked for me for many years. I've killed lots of deer down wind of me, and many were real close. As for camo, you are right, but what difference does it make on what type of camo one buys? If someone wants to buy ten different patterns, that's their perogative.

whitetail_fanatic 09-19-2009 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by superstrutter (Post 3446740)
I agree and disagree. Corn IS all you need if you are going to hunt a feeder. Hunting a food plot IS no different than hunting a feeder, although many here think it is. I agree that you don't have to use all the supplements and lures out there. Most are gimmicks. I have to disagree with trying to be scent free. "Hunt the wind" is the dumbest statement ever made. Most of the time the wind is variable. I want to be as scent free as possible just in case the wind decides to change direction. Guess what, it's worked for me for many years. I've killed lots of deer down wind of me, and many were real close. As for camo, you are right, but what difference does it make on what type of camo one buys? If someone wants to buy ten different patterns, that's their perogative.

I disagree greatly with your comment on hunting the wind, Iv set In a stand for an entire day and had the wind blow the same direction all day.

zrexpilot 09-19-2009 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Yankee Doodle (Post 3446736)
I guess my Dad told me the secret of getting my deer when I was about 12 years old. He said," sit down, don't move, shut up, and be patient". He also told me "hunt only where the deer are."

ding ding ding, we have a winner.
Your dad was a genious.
If you hunt where there are no trophy deer your not going to get a monster buck and it has no bearing on ones hunting ability.
Its about opportunity, some have the opportunity to hunt great locations and kill monster deer on a regular basis.
Others hunt where there are plenty deer and kill every year, others hunt where theres hardly any deer and kill much less.

What really crack me up are the ones wearing camo clothing and and a blaze orange vest and hat.
Buwahahaha.
I do wear some camo only beacuse they are my designated hunting clothes. I wear army fatigue pants because they are pretty durable and I like the cargo pockets everywhere and because I find them in the thrift stores for like 2-4 dollars a pair. Of course I work in them too.

superstrutter 09-19-2009 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by whitetail_fanatic (Post 3446747)
I disagree greatly with your comment on hunting the wind, Iv set In a stand for an entire day and had the wind blow the same direction all day.

Right, maybe when a front comes through. The wind may stay from the north for a while, but the wind is usually variable. It can blow east one minute and west the next. It can change from north to south in a heartbeat. If you are a hunter, you can't tell me the wind doesn't regularly change directions. The wind constantly swirls and changes directions. If you base your hunting on strictly hunting the wind, you are going to miss many opportunities. Just remember, not all deer are going to come upwind from you. They could come from any direction. This is why you should be as scent free AS POSSIBLE. I know we can't fool a deer's sense of smell 100%, but every ounce of protection sure helps.

zrexpilot 09-19-2009 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by superstrutter (Post 3446793)
Right, maybe when a front comes through. The wind may stay from the north for a while, but the wind is usually variable. It can blow east one minute and west the next. It can change from north to south in a heartbeat. If you are a hunter, you can't tell me the wind doesn't regularly change directions. The wind constantly swirls and changes directions.

I dissagree, we call those swirling winds when it changes direction, either way thats not the norm.
Just got back from a 3 day hunt, the wind stayed the same direction all 3 days and never changed, so I hunted the same tripod, I was bow hunting in my camo shorts boots and black tee shirt, smoking a ciggarette and had hogs at the feeder within 20 yds. I never let an arow fly cause they were a little too big, I was looking for one under 75 lbs. Plus I already have a frezzer full. Was nice to just look at them going about their business.

Blackelk 09-19-2009 05:27 PM

I guess I'm just plain dumb. I only use deer bee blind camo and natural scent o pee on ya self. hehe. I do use camo and I do stalk deer regardless of what way the wind is blowing. Although I do take mind of which way that is the wind continues to be the strongest. After 20years of guiding I've seen more elk, deer, and antelope by people messing with gadgets on bows, or turning down their scope because it was set at the highest possible power then the elk is 30yds in the trees. I always try to remind people but sometimes my mind is on the tracks ahead.

top 5 gadget mistakes in my world.
1. Scope set on highest power of zoom
2. Bow slings
3. Rangefinders (close means close in any book)
4. Two different brands of ammo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. Ah the GPS.... If your playing with your toy you didn't just see the deer walk by.

P.S. If you smell like a multiple of scents then the animal will key in on that. And after 5 days of elk hunting elk scent starts to smell more like coyote urine. Just sayin..

I hate gadgets. It lowers my yearly success rate.