Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Almost time to freshen those salt licks. >

Almost time to freshen those salt licks.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Almost time to freshen those salt licks.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Almost time to freshen those salt licks.

I freshen the salt lick every year during turkey season. I then stick a camera on it an it runs up until right around the first of the coming year. The salt lick is great for checking inventory in my area. Anybody going to freshen the salt licks soon?
Old 03-27-2013, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

I will be again since my last sites were washed away earlier this month when the creek flooded
Old 03-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Spike

Yep. I'll take one out this weekend as I scout for turkey's. Last summer was hard in OK, as the heat dried up our farm pond. Fortunately, we've had a little moisture this winter and early spring. The pond is holding water again and I'm seeing more deer, turkey's, coyotes, and other critters on our property. Hopefully, we'll continue getting rain this spring.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I toss on out every year
Old 03-28-2013, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had one the deer were hitting hard...then in Sept I put a game camera over it and both the block and camera were stolen... I think it was the bunny hugging neighbors but I'll put another block out soon
Old 03-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I put down course crushed rock salt. That is all I have ever done for ten years or so. You can even dig a whole an bury it two or three inches under the ground.

Last edited by AR Bowhunter; 03-28-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Already have the ones on the property I hunt refreshed. I use a mix of plain salt and dicalcium phosphate ... and a high calcium content dairy cattle supplement when I can find it. I try to keep the mix no more than 50% plain salt. Hunt on about 3150 acres. Have 10 areas that the deer use heavily. I put out 1500# this spring. Not as much as I usually put out but about all I could afford. Hope to refresh around July.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

We refreshed several of ours where we Deer Hunt,I'll add some more mineral later on and refresh the salt licks also and the Trophy Rock is getting pretty small and needs to be replenished also!I put out a new 50lb salt block on the Family Farm and the snow and frequent rain has it down to almost nothing so it's back to the local Feed Store for another one.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well freshen my salt lick Saturday some time. Then hanging a camera to watch over it this summer. I most likely check it about end of May maybe June.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

recently put some out, 2-50# bags of cattle mineral with 3-4% salt mixed with 1-50# of salt, figure this gives me about a 34% salt mineral mix.