Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Bucks of Tecomate El Cazador Ranch >

Bucks of Tecomate El Cazador Ranch

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bucks of Tecomate El Cazador Ranch

Old 09-19-2009, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with statements of " let him have at it. His land, no high fence, etc,etc." That being said, I have seen footage of deer being taken on the property with feeders, not food plots, in the same frame. It is not the type of " hunting " that I prefer, but, to each his own. These shows and this type of operation are much closer to " deer shooting " than actual deer hunting, IMHO.

And no, I'm not jealous.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:42 AM
Spike

3,000 acres... It may as well be high fenced, but I would certainly love to own a chunk of land that size. I don’t agree with hunting baited deer, I've done it and it was like shooting fish-in-a- barrel, not something i'd like to do again. I do find it ironic that he puts bait out, shouldn’t the tecomonte food plots be enough draw? Guess not. Food plots don’t draw deer the same as a bait pile.

I will say, I was a little upset when I watched him on a show that he was narrating which was in Illinois. He bashed Illinois saying the age structure wasnt there for big bucks. Has he ever seen our record book? Anyway, the man can hunt anyway he wants to in my opinion, it's his property, to each their own. I do like seeing the monster bucks on his show, but I cringe when I see how they are hunted. I dont think he is bad for hunting though.

I will give him credit for one big buck he was after on his ranch. He hunted that buck day-in and day-out for weeks. He loves whitetails and loves to hunt, isnt that why we are all here?
Old 09-19-2009, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just can not stand that show. I know that the man worked hard to get the deer that big, but passing up a 150 incher for something bigger is not hunting to me.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:45 AM
Spike

If I had the Land and resources he had I would do exactly as he is doing! Should he shoot younger bucks when theres big 6+ year olds running around? That is a no brainer and its obvious these guys at the top of our sport got there by not making stupid decisions.

So pretty much what youre saying is if theres a field full of does and young bucks and even though this property is 3000 acres and holds many mature bucks just go ahead and shoot the 2 year old six pointer. Thats a good one, remind me not to hire you to manage my property!!
Old 09-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

If I had anything bad to say about the program it would be out of sheer envy. Sure some things irk me, like how Foxworthy has walked into a deer hunter celebrity status without earning his way there. Or how they gifted a fake head of a family deer to a guest who was told he couldnt shoot a particular buck. But again these things boil down to envy. How great it would be to own and manage a property that can turn in results like they do? How great would it be to walk into the world of hunting and be privleged to hunt some of the finest whitetails and whitetail grounds to be had on the planet? Even better how great would it be to be so successful at growing and killing giant bucks that you spend 4 out of seven nights on national tv as an expert?

Envy is a rotten thing.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Western MA Hunter
. personally I think they are ruining the sport... .
Your wrong, their not ruining it, they HAVE ruined it.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hell Stevie Wonder could shoot a B&C on a ranch like this one!

dd
Old 09-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Spike

the big buck he let go was because his daughter was after that deer and waiting for it after watching it all year. There is nothing wrong with that. I'm sure it was a nice gift giving a "look a like" away to the person that could have shot the buck though. For me I was mad because It was not me.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:59 AM
Typical Buck

they know all those deer by name. they just as well be killing cows. they have fed them enough that there not even afraid of humans,thats why they know exactly where they will be everyday. not much natural food on those ranches so the deer will come to anything you feed them.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

They give names as a way to recognize which deer they're talking about from trail cam pics or from seeing deer while scouting. They let the deer grow to 6+ years, so, they sometimes see the deer many times through the course of its life. It's his ranch, so he can be out there scouting every day. That's why he knows where they'll be (generally). There are bucks out there that he'll see once on a trail cam, and then hunt it for weeks Or he'll see it as a 5 year old and give it another year hoping he'll be bigger as a 6 year old, and then hunt that specific buck. The guys on the ranch I hunt give names to some of the bucks as a way for folks to remember certain deer they'd like for their kids or guests to shoot under their "management" guidelines.

So... food plots are no different than feeders? Please explain that one. How is it any different from someone hunting a cornfield, or a stand of oak trees.

Putting in a management program, and abiding by it is "not hunting"? Sorry dude, but that's just laughable. His place is 3000 acres so it "might as well be high fenced"??? One of the more ridiculous statements I've heard. And, I hang out in the political forum... where there are Democrats...

Somebody mentions high fences around here and folks go off. High fences isn't "real" hunting. Might as well go to the zoo. That's a cage even if it's around a million acres. Blah blah blah. Well, this guy's land isn't high fenced.

Somebody mentions feeders and folks go off again. Baiting isn't "real" hunting. It changes the deer's feeding patterns since they only go off at certain times. The food isn't available 24/7 like a corn field. Well... Food plots are available 24/7. They're not restricted to a 30' x 30' area like a feeder. And, from what I've seen, he doesn't even hunt his food plots. He hunts senderos and hopes to see deer chasing does or while in transition from bedding areas to feeding areas.

This one really gets me... "He passed up a 150 so he could shoot something bigger. That's not hunting." Good grief. The place I hunt has more deer than you can shake a stick at. I pass up dozens of bucks every year, hoping to have one walk by my stand that meets our lease's management guidelines. There are reasons that I have issues about the way most hunting is done in Texas i.e. There's precious little "public land" so the vast majority of hunting is on private land, where you're pretty much restricted to hunting in blinds with feeders. Not much else you can do if you've got a 1500 acre lease with 10-15 guys hunting it every weekend. Can't really do any spot and stalk hunting when it's that crowded... So I suspect that most Texas deer hunting more closely resembles deer sniping. On Morris's show, he seems to do a lot more spot and stalk hunting than what I could ever do on our lease. And, contrary to what was said above, I've never seen him hunt at a feeder. I believe I've seen him show trailcam photos from a mineral feeder, but, I don't think he hunts them.

I'm hearing an awful lot of envy here... Heck, I'm jealous. I'd love to be able to hunt someplace with an effective management program and limited hunting pressure. But, I'm on a lease where the guys seem happy to manage for 105" eight points...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.