Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do hogs scare deer away?

Old 09-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Do hogs scare deer away?

I was just wondering if hogs keep deer away from the area they are in. I know where some hogs are on public land near a river and wanted to know if they would drive the deer away from that area.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Spike

Default In my opinion hogs disturb deer activity.

We have ove 300 pics of hogs at the feeder with no deer pics. Then we caught 6 hogs n the trap n now have lots of deer as always. Hogs may not scare or disturb deer when the deer are used to the hogs but this is the 1st year we have seen hogs on the lease. There was a difference in deer behavior with the arrival of hogs, hope we can kill a few more of those pesky hogs!
Old 09-18-2009, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my experience, hogs won't chase them away by running them out of the area or anything like that. Hogs will make the habitat unappealing to a deer. I have trail camera pictures of deer in certain spots and as soon as I get one picture of a hog in that spot, no more deer. Hogs are just eating and destruction machines. They'll wallow out water holes, eat up all the natural agriculture and generally make a mess of things.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, but it really depends on how many hogs you are talking about. One or two might not hinder your area very much, but anymore that thay usually will IMO. I have abandoned 2 hunting areas this year because they were taken over by hogs. These were spots that I consistently saw 6-10 does at everytime I would sit there. When the hogs moved into the area I had 2 deer pics out of 500. I HATE hogs and will kill everyone I see, they are destructive to the habitat and compete with deer for the food sources.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

In Oklahoma there is NO season and NO limit on hogs.They have got so out of control ( they can breed at 6 months old, and have up to 13 babies twice a year)they can really take over a place.As for deer being afraid of them...They sure don't feed with them or hang out with them.Like the other posts said 1 or 2 won't bother the deer too much but they DO compete for food.The deer
will leave the area for better food sources.
Last 2 years in the spring time I cleared my hunting area of 16 hogs!(it makes the spring time nice,I love to hunt tasty animals!)
I can defiantly say the deer population has increased.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:22 AM
Spike

Hogs DEFINITELY scare deer, make them spooky, big bucks wont tolerate em, eat all the forage closer to the ground.....you do not want hogs!!!! We have caught over 2000 on our farm in the last 2 years....still have a huge hog problem, but putting a dent in them drastically improved the deer hunting.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:32 AM
tf
Spike

We have hog problems too. I have noticed over the years however that hogs feed and range in somewhat of a pattern. They may be in one area for weeks at a time, then move off for several weeks or longer until they "circle" back in to the first spot. Myself and another hunter shot 2 last year and afterwards we noticed that the pack moved off for awhile and allowed for deer only activity . So, if you can disrupt their feeding and pressure them a little, they may move off for awhile, which will help some, especially before the deer season begins.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

here in Texas the deer arent bothered by the hogs. However they will not eat together, the deer keep their distance but I have seen both at the same time feeding in senderos just a ways apart from each other. Also note that Texas has the biggest hog population, of 4 million hogs in the united states Texas has 2 million of those.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

well look at texas
most amount of deer
and most amount of hogs
so maybe in a way