Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What to wear? Ultra noob here

Old 09-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Spike

Default What to wear? Ultra noob here

Hey guys, I was just wonderin' what to wear on a hunting trip? I'm seventeen and going with a couple of experienced friends in a few weeks. I don't want to ruin anything but I also am not sure if I should buy $200 camo sets just to come with. Is it okay to wear the natural color of the surroundings + an orange vest, or is camo a must? Let me know guys and thanks a lot!
Old 09-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

where will u be hunting
Old 09-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Spike

Up by Monmouth, Illinois. It's private land.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

i am from galesburg illinois but hunt down in Henderson County and it gets cold here so i would go with some heavy clothes for gun seasons but bow it not to bad for the first month then it starts getting cold so u dont need top brand names but just some good base layers and some heavy out layers u be set
Old 09-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Spike

Thanks a lot!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would just buy a cheap camo jacket and depending on how hot or cold it is layer appropriately under that and you should be fine
Old 09-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

Invest in a good pair of rubber sole boots. Muck Boots are well made and don't transfer scent if scent precaution is taken. Also buy a size that is roomy enough for extra socks in the colder weather. As far as the clothes, as said above buy Base Layers and then layer if necessary. I take a backpack and stick my outer layers in it to put on once I reach my stand.This will keep you from sweating early and freezing later. Once your clothes get wet you get cold faster and also from a scent standpoint the deer will detect you faster if you are sweating and producing scent.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Spike

Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 09-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Spike

If you have to wear blaze orange then forget about spending money on camo--you don't need camo. Just wear some warm cloths depending on the weather; cotton is a poor choice in clothing as it get's wet from sweat and stays wet---thus you get cold. Wool is a good choice for outer layers. No matter what, keep warm.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

Keep in mind how much noise your coat or pants might make.
Avoid wearing anything that has a harder plastic type of material on the outside.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.