Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Late season feed

Old 09-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Spike

Default Late season feed

Hey, we usually plant 3 big food plots(corn or soy beans e/o yr) and this year we rented out to the neighboor farmer so he could plant all soy beans. He will be harvesting in a few weeks, the later the better.

Does anyone know what would be a great mix to buy and plant that would come up in a few weeks so there is feed to draw in does. Baiting is not allowed.

thanks, David
Old 09-16-2009, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would offer to buy a few acres of standing soybeans and let the farmer leave them in the field on the edges. Just flag off some corners and the deer will just keep on feeding. Planting Buck Forgage Oats would be my #1 recommendation as far as a grain to plant.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:12 AM
Fork Horn

Try some Throw-n-Grow it has a good fall mix and don't take long to come up.Like the name say's, just use a hand spreader and hope for rain.I use it in staging area's where there are small openings in the woods( right around my stands 30 yards or so) I rake up the area( hand rake) and spread some seed, with the right amount of rain I've had it come up in as little as 1 week and be flush at 5 weeks.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

I tried throw & grow. The only thing that happened was I threw my money away...NOTHING ever sprouted!
Old 09-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by aharley1
I tried throw & grow. The only thing that happened was I threw my money away...NOTHING ever sprouted!
Did you scrape up the ground a bit?
It really helps to rake the ground a bit to have good soil to seed contact.The first time I used it i kinda had the same results , but after I raked the ground real good I had a 80% growth on it.
Rain is real important as well,I planned my seeding when I knew rain was in the forecast.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question

Originally Posted by aharley1
Apparently if several people are having very good results with it and YOU are NOT, perhaps then you could explain what you did?

Then people can learn to not do what you did or did not do... and you can maybe learn something about it; as well as others.

iSnipe
Old 09-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

If Throw n Grow didn't work then you did something wrong. That stuff is awesome.... You have to rake the dirt up. Also I use fert... but dont put to much on or you will burn out the seed.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

There could be other issues too... like not enough moisture in the soil, no rain, ph not good, birds eat up seeds, seeds buried too deep, etc, etc.

iSnipe
Old 09-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Spike

thanks, i will have to look for some throw n grow... just need something to get them back out in the open field when prime time rut bow hunting hits... we got a few 55 gallon drums i can fill up and haul up in the ranger if rain bails out of the forecast like it has for the last 15 days in wisconsin here.

he is paying i think about 300 bucks to farm each of our top fields of our 250 acres, always does corn in the valley cross the road from his fields. CRP contract went up 2 years ago and this money just goes towards taxes.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

brassica and turnips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.