Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
2009 Rut Survey-Info. & Details >

2009 Rut Survey-Info. & Details

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

2009 Rut Survey-Info. & Details

Old 10-26-2009, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

Oct 24 - AM hunt
Moon 1st quarter
Barometric pressure steady
39 degrees
Wind 7 mph
1 Buck seen
4 Rubs/0 scrapes

Oct 24 PM hunt
Moon 1st quarter
60 degrees
Wind 5 mph
0 deer
0 rut activity

Oct 26 AM hunt
Moon 1st quarter
54 degrees
Wind 2-4 mph
0 deer
6 new rubs
Old 10-26-2009, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 7MMXBOLT
Not sure if you tried this yet but, you may be able to copy and paste your XLS spreadsheet into a word document. Then copy it to your clip board and post it in this thread. You just need to make sure you format / size "width wise" the xls spreadsheet so all the data fits on one word document page. Shrink your columns to fit.
As the data becomes to large for one word doc. "length wise" copy it to a second , third, fourth and so on. Shrink the rows until "before" the data becomes unreasonably to small to read and move on to a second word document. You could also convert your xls. spreadsheet to a graph and copy it to a word doc then to the clipboard and post it in this thread.

Just something to try!
7MM these are some good ideas. I will try them out and let you guys know.

Mirza
Old 10-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

dont know if i can jump in late..

10/25 AM
5MPH Westerdly
34degs

5 doe feeding before sunrise and through sunrise.
no bucks

10/25 PM
12MPH westerdly
54 degs
6:14 sunset. 6pm 7 doe and 2 bucks, bucks were chasing (very light) and feeding.
young doe were playing .
bigger buck was chasin the little fork horn around, but not away

7pm 5 more doe from another direction feeding, one POSSIBLE button or spike (very little light) attempted a mount on a doe, dont think it was an attempt to breed. not sure why he (or maybe she) did it..

location. Western NY, wyoming county
Old 10-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by shott8283
dont know if i can jump in late..

10/25 AM
5MPH Westerdly
34degs

5 doe feeding before sunrise and through sunrise.
no bucks

10/25 PM
12MPH westerdly
54 degs
6:14 sunset. 6pm 7 doe and 2 bucks, bucks were chasing (very light) and feeding.
young doe were playing .
bigger buck was chasin the little fork horn around, but not away

7pm 5 more doe from another direction feeding, one POSSIBLE button or spike (very little light) attempted a mount on a doe, dont think it was an attempt to breed. not sure why he (or maybe she) did it..

location. Western NY, wyoming county
Definitely not too late to join in...anyone can add their info. But please follow the proper posting procedure/method. There is a sample perfect post at the beginning of this thread or look at firemedics post thats right before yours. We just want to keep everyone posting the same way so its easy for the miz to collect and sort the data. We dont really need elaborate details. Here is all you need to post.
  1. 10/25 pm hunt
  2. 59dgrs/barom. steady
  3. moon-first qtr.
  4. Now new rutting activity
  5. no deer seen
Please refer back to the sample post in the beginning for further reference. And btw welcome to the survey!!
Old 10-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

Guys please stick to the original sample post set up in the beginning of this thread. Simply use minor/major for rutting activity description. This will keep it easy for miz to collect, sort and record our data. TY!!
Old 10-26-2009, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Central PA

10/26 evening- 55 degrees sunny
Moon: 1sr quarter
Barometer: Steady
Scraping: none
Rubbing: none
Sightings: 1 buck, 23 does
Old 10-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Spike

Count me in, a little late but this is the best time of the year!
Old 10-27-2009, 01:06 AM
Fork Horn

TheMiz54, May I make a couple suggestions? I am not trying to highjack your thread, I just think maybe I can help.

In order for anyone who is contributing to this survey to make any real sense of the data you are collecting, I think you would need to put it in a more visual form, hence graphs. It is hard to make heads or tails of it in its raw form. I would think you would also need to break it down by geographical location in order to follow it through out the country. N. East, S. East, N. Central, S. Central, N. West, S. West would be a good way to interpret it in order for it to have any real meaning for anyone who has contributed their information. To me anyways, how the rut is doing in the S. West has no real barring on how it is doing in the N. East and so on.

You may want to consider adding another column to the spreadsheet. Separate the Bucks and the Doe's and make them their own data point so one could see when the Buck's "really" start to interact with the herd as the rut progresses. In a graph, this would really show up.

These are just a couple of suggestions if you’re interested. If this is something that your not real familiar with, I could help you with it if you like. A graph should be easier to post in this thread than a Excel spreadsheet and make it easier for everyone to interpret. At the very least you would be able to post them in your blog with out any problems.

Let me know!

Last edited by 7MMXBOLT; 10-28-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:09 AM
Spike

-10/26 SW Penn PM Hunt
-60 Degrees Baro Steady
-Moon 3/4 Visible (Need help w/ Moon Phase Names)
No rutting activity
2 Does / 0 Bucks
Old 10-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Spike

Poconos PA

10/26 evening- 52 degrees sunny
Moon: 1st quarter
Barometer: Steady
Scraping: increasing, several small scrapes freshened
Rubbing: increased
Sightings: 1 doe with 1 button buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.