Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Will light spook deer.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wait till the sun comes up and then walk in usually.....
Old 09-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use The Force...

Seriously, I hardly ever use light going in, I just go slow and use ambient light. If I HAVE to have light I sparingly use a mini maglight and shield as much light as I can with my hand so it only gives off a dim glow.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

i use green
Old 09-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't even need to see to get around my timber, I know it to well.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

Per Indiana Rulebook, shining any artificial light while in possesion of a firearm, bow or crossbow is illegal.

I know that they did not mean to say a guy can't use a flashlight to get in an out of the woods, but the rule is the rule "No Artificial Light While in Possesion of a Firearm, Bow or Crossbow". They used the wrong language but language is law. Laws can't be grey and interpreted if they want to be considered effective.

By the way the legislatures that make errors of hunting laws by wording them wrong are gonna be the same ones making errors in any pending helath care laws.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the mini-mag lights when I have to. I mostly use no light, but in areas that are thick, uneven terrain or I'm not comfortable with, I use it. I don't put anything over the lens, so it's a white light.

I don't broadcast the light in front of me though. I hold my arm and hand low, then only point it almost straight down. The side-casting light is just enough to get me through the tough spots and is much harder to see from a distance, so I'm thinking I must be doing something right as I don't ever recall a deer blowing or running off as I use the light. But that isn't saying too much, I know, because many deer when alarmed just jog off unnoticed.

iSnipe
Old 09-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

no lights just let your eyes adjust to the dark and u can see just fine in mins
Old 09-17-2009, 03:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I'm going to be odd man out...I use a LED headlight, no red or green and use it when going into and out of the woods...

You never really know who else may be on your property...Look at all the cameras, feeders and stands that get stolen...I don't feel safe walking around in the dark with no light...If it spooks a few deer I just don't worry about it...

Now, I went hunting yesterday afternoon, while walking out I walked up on three different deer with this light on...I could see their eyes shining from 60-70 yards away and got within about 30 yards before they slipped away...None snorted and two stopped for another look before moving into the woods...

As I walked down the farm path to the truck I almost stepped on a copperhead about 2 feet long...I saw him quick enough that I was able to jump over him...Suppose I didn't have my light on??
Old 09-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Exclamation

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
...I use a LED headlight, no red or green...As I walked down the farm path to the truck I almost stepped on a copperhead...saw him quick enough that I was able to jump over him...Suppose I didn't have my light on??
Then the world would have been with one less copperhead.

iSnipe
Old 09-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

The world is without one less...I found a good stick...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.