Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to bring deer in??

Old 09-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Spike

Default How to bring deer in??

I'm trying to bring some deer onto a property I plan on hunting next year. It's a large acre farm but mostly fields. However, in the back pasture there is a creek that separates nothing but hardwoods. Unfortunatly I don't have permission to hunt the hardwoods. So I'm trying to find a way to bring them to my side of the creek. I know it will be difficult to get them out of the woods to a pasture so I need some ideas. Anything will help. I've thought of putting out corn during the fall and planting a food plot in the spring. Ideas?
Old 09-15-2009, 04:39 AM
Fork Horn

How do you know the deer arent already out there?
Old 09-15-2009, 04:45 AM
Typical Buck

You ca plant a foodplot-that will bring them to your property. But if you start shooting alot of deer off your plot they will quickly associate your fields with danger. They mite still come to your side but it will probably be after dark when they do.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by SpinnerOfWood
How do you know the deer arent already out there?
Haven't seen any signs. Right now it's tall grass and there aren't any trails, no scrapes, no droppings. I believe i'll plant a food plot. I think it will give me my best option.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Spike

plant a food plot that has worked for some of my buddies
Old 09-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

numerous food plots and hunt the trails between them and the woods so as not to push the deer away from them and dont hunt a certain trail too much
Old 09-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Spike

Put in a plot, for both fall & summer. Be sure to hunt it only when the wind is right. During the rut you may want to try a good brand of Doe in Estrous (Code Blue works for me).

For your fall plot, Oats are especially attractive, however they are not cold weather tolerant. Plant a mixture of winter peas, oats, wheat, some brassicas and throw in a few purple top turnips. This mix will provide some food throughout the winter for your deer. Do a soil test to check PH and see what fertilizer to use. If you can't do that, use 33-00-12 at 175-200 lbs. per acre.

Beans and corn would be good for the summer plot.

When Spring comes, start a mineral lick or 2 on your property and freshen it up every couple of months. Long term I would plant some Persimmon and Crab Apple trees.

Good Luck.

JM.

Last edited by JohnMoses; 09-15-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

this is all you need
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te....form1&Go.x=24
Old 09-16-2009, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

If you have access, you might want to channel the creek onto your property with a retention pond and a foot plot. Nothing better than a food source and water in the same spot. Provide some thick coverage near this and you will be on your way to having the deer right where you want them. In hunting, you have to go where the deer are. There are many ways to get them to come in - but they don't always stay. Give the deer a reason to stay on your property. If you build it - they will come.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Gobble!
wtf! DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.