HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Whitetail Hunting with GPS (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/303564-whitetail-hunting-gps.html)

bmumford 09-13-2009 04:35 PM

Whitetail Hunting with GPS

I would have posted this in the "Hi-Tech Hunting" forum, but GPS doesn't fit into either of the categories (Trail Cameras, Optics, or Video & Photography).

Anyway, I've been planning on buying a GPS for hunting for a while. I'm a pretty tech-savvy guy, so I really want to switch to GPS (and eliminate paper). I've been using a top-of-the-line Garmin GPS unit in my car for the last year that I am quite satisfied with, but I need something portable for planning my hunting trips.

I've narrowed my search down to two models: the Garmin Oregon 550T and the DeLorme Earthmate PN-40. I thought I had the debate settled by saving a couple of hundred dollars by forgoing the digital camera (that I love) in exchange for the ability to display both topos (topographical maps) and aerial photos on the PN-40. Apparently, it's only $30 a year for unlimited maps (which is DeLorme's forte).

However, I just saw an advertisement for Expert GPS (http://www.expertgps.com/gps-receivers/Garmin-Oregon-550t.asp) which is now supporting the Oregon 550T with aerials for $50 a year. It's not nearly as cheap, but they ARCGIS (which isn't important to me, but ARC software is high-end GIS software, so it makes me wonder).

To make matters harder, the Oregon stores 2,000 waypoints (I don't know if I need that much, maybe I do); the PN-40 stores only 1,000 (which may be enough). Yet, the Oregon only has 850 MB of memory while the PN-40 has 1GB. Both take external cards, so maybe that doesn't matter.

Both have a digital compass that you do not need to be moving to work out your direction (which could compromise your position when hunting); so that's good.

Some people note/complain that the DeLorme PN-40 has a much smaller screen, but the resolution seems to make up for it (in their opinion). The Garmin Oregon 550T has a much larger screen (and it's a touch screen).

I know a lot of you are not into GPS, but I was hoping some of you are and can provide some input. Maybe a few of you even own one of these. The $200 price difference (as well as doubling the annual cost for maps/aerial photos) is nothing to sneeze at, but having a digital camera built in means one less piece of equipment I need to bring into the field. It's also nice to directly geo-tag an item as soon as you take its picture.

Above all, I'm really concerned with the quality of the map support. DeLorme boasts the ability to overlay topos on top of aerials (while the Oregon toggles between them). I don't know if this makes much of a difference.

So with that said, let's open up a discussion about GPS and hunting.

Thanks!

bigwilly1198 09-14-2009 03:48 AM

I ahve a simple Garmin eTrex that I use to mark spots (waypoints) and I also let it track me sometimes so I can see where I've been. I just downloaded the information onto my computer using the ExpertGPS and it appears to be very accurate. I'm on the 30 day trial, but I can switch between aerial or Topo or you can even submit your own photo i think. I carry a topo map with me and an aerial with me and use that method. GPS is only to mark scrapes, sightings, trails, etc for reference. I personally would always carry a paper copy of the maps even if I had them electronically because you are SOL if the electronics crap out. Always good to have a regular map with you.

crokit 09-14-2009 03:56 AM

While I'm a compass-topo guy, and have never held, let alone used a gps, Personally, a feature that overlays topo-map on an aerial seems to be an awesome feature.

SWThomas 09-14-2009 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by bigwilly1198 (Post 3440086)
I ahve a simple Garmin eTrex that I use to mark spots (waypoints) and I also let it track me sometimes so I can see where I've been. I just downloaded the information onto my computer using the ExpertGPS and it appears to be very accurate. I'm on the 30 day trial, but I can switch between aerial or Topo or you can even submit your own photo i think. I carry a topo map with me and an aerial with me and use that method. GPS is only to mark scrapes, sightings, trails, etc for reference. I personally would always carry a paper copy of the maps even if I had them electronically because you are SOL if the electronics crap out. Always good to have a regular map with you.

+1. I use the eTrex to plot where my truck is and then I head off into the woods. No matter where I go I can find my way back to my original starting point. Very handy.

mgrt67 09-14-2009 07:36 AM

Pn-20

I've had the PN-20 for about 1.5 years now and it's a great piece of technology. The screen is a little small and would be nice if it was a little bigger, but I haven’t found it to be a hindrance. I also have the aerial subscription and have uploaded a bunch of aerials into my unit and it's awesome to be able to see where you are at in relation to a real aerial photo. The software that comes with the GPS unit could be more user-friendly and it does takes a while to get the hang of it. But Its great to be able to add waypoints, boundary lines and stand locations with the software and to then to be able to transfer all of that to the gps and be able to see it on an aerial photo on the unit as you are walking around. You can also transfer your waypoints and tracks to your software from your handheld and see them on the map. One other cool feature is the 3d view with the software on the computer. You can really see the topography with the 3d view on.

hatchet jack 09-14-2009 11:18 AM

I been useing one for ten years. Eagle brand. They are a great help.

Hatchet jack