HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   OHIO Question... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/303459-ohio-question.html)

jmccoy_77 09-12-2009 12:42 PM

OHIO Question...

A buddy of mine wants me to go to Ohio with him to hunt Belmont and Monroe counties November 7th-11th. Can anyone tell me anything about the deer hunting, trophy potential, topography, etc., in these counties? Is it worth the trip?

nodog 09-12-2009 03:50 PM

Went there last ML season. I'll never go back. The Wayne National should be called the Wayne privatly owned National forest. It's a joke of a National Forest, that is if you've ever been in a real one.

OhioSlayer 09-12-2009 04:48 PM

Knox County is a really good place to get some big bucks. Never hunted Wayne though. Before I would come to Ohio I would make sure to check out some other places. I live in Richland county and do pretty well here.

4evrhtn 09-12-2009 05:21 PM

I am not sure what your home state is but SE Ohio has in my opinion has great hunting opportunites. I have hunted in Jackson county and now this year I will be in Nobel county. Even for an out of stater from Pa the $150 I have to pay for a buck and a doe is well worth it. I would sooner deer hunt 2 days in SE Ohio rather than 2 months in Pa.

nodog 09-13-2009 01:02 PM

Just to prove a point I'm always looking at buying land and the number of properties for sale in Monroe county starts to get your attention until you get to a point where you say to yourself, "is the whole county for sale?". There's a reason for so many properties being for sale, Got my O on it but whatever it is, can't be good I'm thinking.

Went from there up North to Egypt Valley, Belmont County. We left without ever getting out of the truck, and after we encountered many groups of hunters going up and down the roads on foot looking for any place to enter. In a way I felt sorry for the lone deer in that area too stupid to stick around. Chances are a minimum of a hundred shots would have come it's way. Can you imagine the scene if and when it fell and the struggle that would surely come. :deer::fighting0007::fighting0007:

We were not really looking to ML hunt but to find a place to bow hunt this season. Even without the mass crowds of hunters the terrain wasn't worth the sit. One huge spot in Egypt valley was a clear cut with a rise in one corner. A truck was parked there, lawn chairs and refreshments around and some guys in camo waiting for something to make a run for it. Had to be a thousand yards of ground in front of them.:party:

It was hilarious.

NEOhioHunter 10-06-2009 09:38 PM

go to the Ohio DNR website, they have graphs displaying the number of deer harvested from each county, as well as the number of trophy deer from each county

SHED HUNTER 365 10-07-2009 08:47 AM

No deer in Ohio, its a poor state to hunt.

NEOhioHunter 10-07-2009 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by SHED HUNTER 365 (Post 3466300)
No deer in Ohio, its a poor state to hunt.

haha. you tryin' to keep all the deer to yourself?

shawnfogelman 10-08-2009 08:45 AM

Plenty of deer in Ohio!!! I have 3 of them in the freezer already this year. Check out my posts here. Titled "No. 1 of 2009 Deer Season". And "No. 2 & 3 Ohio Freezer Meat!". Wayne National is a great place to as well, despite what another stated about it. Also, the "Big Buck" potential is very high! All you need to do is go to www.WildOhio.com for any maps that you may need now or in the future. This site will also give you complete details on any and all deer numbers per county from previous years and what the ODNR project for this year. Hope this helps.

LONGRANGE08 10-08-2009 01:47 PM

i live and hunt only ohio. there is GREAT potential here i have two 150" bucks i dont care what other hunters say. we dont want ythem here anyway :)